Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What to do?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:59 pm 
Hello all,
First off just wanted to say how amazing the website is, absolutely fantastic for people who are beginners like me.
Anyway let me get down to business, I’m just about to graduate and my godfather is being so kind and is offering to buy me a camera as a present :D. I have I been using my girlfriend’s Olympus 4mp mju mini point & shoots for the past 3 years and have managed to get some excellent pictures out of it, but now i want something I can fiddle with more to get pictures I want and shoot better in low light conditions, so I have decided to jump on the dslr bandwagon.

So ideally I don’t want my godfather to spend too much money, so I was set on getting a Nikon d40, so popped into my local camera shop to get a feel of it, and I liked it, unfortunately there in front of me stood the Olympus e-400 bundle, which, when I picked it up I have instantly fell in love with. Not only was the size perfect (as I’m mostly going using it to go on holiday and just stick it in my backpack), it felt sturdier, also I’m not likely to get any lenses for a while, (student debt :() so the two lens deal also sold it for me.

Now here is where my problem, I realise that the e-410 although not out in the UK yet, is arriving. What I wanted to know is there any major difference between the 400/410, is it just the live view? I.e. is the image quality better? Also if anyone knows whether when the new e-410 comes out is it going to be priced at the same level?

Any advice would be grateful

Angelo

P.s. i was looking through the Olympus website and the e400/410 specs has an Image Stabilisation Mode in its scene mode, just wondering if it acts the same as other cameras IS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 pm 

Hi Angelo!

I think Gordon summed it up quite nicely in his e410 review: The major difference is really the live view.
The price difference from what I can see in my favorite search engine is at least 150EUR for the dual lens kit. So I assume you have to hurry to get one of those clearance sales of the E400.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Angelo, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

As you'll see in our E-410 verdict, there are a few subtle differences between the E-400 and the E-410, but the major difference is Live View. To all intents and purposes, the image quality is very similar - have a look at our E-400 review for actual samples and comparisons with other bodies.

So yes, as Thomas says, the difference in price is really simply for the Live View. As such I reckon the E-400, particularly in the twin lens kit, is a bit of a bargain - but beware it may not be on sale for much longer!

Gordon

PS - neither the E-400 nor E-410 have any kind of built-in image stabilisation, so any mention of anti-shake is in reference to a high ISO mode.