Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: YouTube
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:35 pm 

Hi folks,

I can watch HD video in Vimeo without issues and I can also watch HD videos in YouTube without issue if I navigate direct to the HD URL (add "?hd=1" to the end of the regular URL). But if I start in low def and change the resolution to 720 or 1080 then, after the usual wait while the buffer rebuilds, I almost always see the video stopping multiple times while more content streams down.

Does anyone else notice this? My Internet connection is fine (can play Vimeo HD) and YouTube can stream me HD content (if I navigate directly to the HD URL) but changing resolution is a no-no.

I use Firefox (under Windows 7) and I refuse to create a YouTube account as I've never been convinced that my personal data isn't going to be used at some future time for targeted ads or, even worse, be stolen or shared between wholly owned subsidiary companies.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:31 pm 

Try throwing flash out of the equation.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:57 pm 

Hi Lorride,

I did try but, after realising that Firefox 5 already is, I think, HTML 5 ready and "joining" the HTML 5 trial I couldn't manage to play anything in HTML 5 so far as I could tell. If HTML 5 is an option set by going into "Settings" in the resolution change menu (bottom right of the video) after one has opted in then I'm stuffed. If YouTube think they can blackmail me into sharing my personal data just so I can make some extra video settings options then they've got another think coming. :evil: Or maybe I just couldn't find a movie with the right options that didn't include an advert.

But thanks for the suggestion. I also tried clearing out my old YouTube cookies just in case there was something in there that was causing trouble but I don't think it helped. I've Googled this and what I'm seeing isn't uncommon. And, as I mentioned above, I can always navigate direct to the HD version of a video and avoid the stutters, albeit at the cost of a few extra keypresses.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:00 pm 

Youtube is just broken, it has so many weird bugs and glitches I just stopped looking for problems on my end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:25 am 

what personal data? arent you a little bit paranoid?
youtube is glitchy, when they fix one thing (maybe one in a year) then 10 other appear.. it has so many bugs that its nearly unusable, but still better than vimeo, which i hate for hiding cursor.

however in yt acc you dont have an option of choosing default video resolution, you have just - worst video quality -or - let yt choose whats best for me. Thats the most stoopid setting there, it does not have any effect.

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,