Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: White balance filter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 am 
hhmm i know people will recommend expodisc as white balance filter but how is it compare to something non-professional white balance filters? like some filters i saw was really cheap on ebay they cost like £7. How good are they if someone have tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 pm 
Hi eos550D,

I use the standard Expodisc on a Nikon D300 and it does a very good job of making the color balance very neutral. Unexpectedly, I often find myself warming the image just a tad from there because that's what I see with my naked eye in most situations. I personally find it more useful in scenes with too much blue or green...say when there is a lot of fluorescent lighting for example.

In hindsight I should probably have gotten the portrait-version of the Expodisc, which probably renders a color balance closer to my preference.

The point of the story is that "perfectly neutral" white balance wasn't really what I needed, but it was what I thought I wanted at the time. (with my Fuji X100 I don't think I ever need one - the auto WB is uncanny in it's precision!)

My recommendation is that you perhaps first try with simple white balance card, a white piece of paper or something like that, until you have a good feel for what kind of balance that is your preference.

There are several less expensive alternatives than the (quite expensive) Expodisc. Lallycap is one example..looks like a sock for your lens. You can also buy white balance lenscaps which seems pretty clever, until you realize that you need one for every diameter of lens you use. They all work as intended, but how good they are for you, only you can decide.

If you go to your camera store of choice, bringing an object you have photographed several times, I'm sure you can try several types out. Compare them to the very cheapest version - the white balance card - and see what you prefer.

Should you land on Expodisc as your preferred option, make sure you get the largest one, so that it can be used with all lenses. If you get a 52mm it will be awkward to use with a 77mm diameter lens.

Good luck!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 pm 
Btw the way there is this lens cloth at my local camera shop the seller said its also 18% grey, I was wondering how'd you know if its actually 18%?

He also said that white balance card is for printing and that and the grey is for the picture itself? hm whats the differences between these two??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:17 pm 

I don't have experience with an expodisc, but if I whitebalance on a white/grey piece of paper, I find myself doing the same as Lahlah, warming up the image a bit, especially portraits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 pm 
is it better to have a warming effect on portrait shots??

but yeah this lens cleaning cloth the seller said its 18% grey but i'm not sure if its actually 18%. Anyone know how to determine if its actually 18%?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:36 pm 

I just use a piece of white A4 paper like what you would write on :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:44 pm 
Hi,

it's not "better" necessarily and you can make adjustments in post processing as well. However, many like to have a hint of warmth for skin tones - perhaps especially for pictures of caucasians.

But it is ultimately a matter of taste.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:57 pm 
I bought an easylite white balance from lastolite and it works well so far so I guess i will be sticking with that one for a while because I have a lot of things to buy aha :)

thank you guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am 

I have bought a variety of accessories. Some are useful and some are not. I have started a thread on it. Click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 pm 

I am careful with white balance adjustments, because many times the technically-correct white balance isn't what I want to capture...the sun, clouds, other light sources can color cast a scene, and sometimes it's that very color cast that is so desirable - so correcting white balance isn't always the right thing to do.

However, when I do manually set my white balance in camera, I've always just carried a paper coffee filter with me. It's super light, supercheap, disposable and replaceable, and just the right color of white (not OVERLY white or blueish white like paper can be sometimes), it slips easily over the lens, and is partially opaque so it admits just the right amount of light. And it allows you to filter out only the color cast, without being influenced by the particular color of a white object.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg