Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 am 

Hello Everyone
I'm soon finishing my exams & off on a Backpacking trip to HK,Aus,Fiji & NZ ! The issue I am faced with is protecting my camera while also complementing my Rucksack and Daysack.

I've been looking at the Digital Holster V2.0 10 to hold the kit I will be traveling with; being - 400D with grip + 15-85mm, 2 filters, charger , batteries, lens-pen + cloth and a few memory cards.

I would use the holster as an insert most of the time as I'd like to be discreet as possible.

The charger and batteries could make do in my rucksack however I don't think wrapping my camera up in a jumper for 2 months on the road will cut it :)

Another possibility could be a camera insert however I have no clue which brands to look at .

Has anyone else been backpacking and found a solution ?!
Thanks very much , Tom

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am 
When Im backpacking, I always have my daybag on my front, which normally has my camera wrapped up inside a microfleece inside.

If it's cold and Im wearing my microfleece, then the camera is in my daybag loose.

Bear in mind it is all watertight as there is a drybag inside my daybag and backpack.

I wouldnt bring the grip.

Re charger, batteries, filters etc, I normally put that sort of thing in what I call a "Tupperware Oyster," or one of these things. Unfortunately my own isnt hello kitty. Which I then throw into my main pack, its solid so I can put fragile things (filters) inside and again watertight, but again that doesnt matter as my whole bag is in a drybag.

Best of luck with your travels, take lots of shots!

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi Tom, I'd recommend looking at the Crumpler, Lowe Pro and Think Tank models. Dakine also has some good stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:40 pm 
I've just been looking at this and there are 2 solutions to my mind

My worry is water. My 550D isnt got to like getting wet at all. In the past I've used Pelicases for trips when I'm going to be very likely to get wet at some point. The 1200 size seems to be the optimum size for cameras like my 550D. The more expensive 7D is to tall to fit inside them and this is the reason I brought the 550D.

When backpacking my pelicase will sit in the top of my pack to make it reasonably accessible. Its not ideal but a wet camera is useless no matter how accessible it is.

Pelicases are so waterproof I've kept a camcorder on the deck of an open boat for 21 day wilderness whitewater trips in Northern Canada.

Pelicases are a faff though and when waterproofness isnt as crucial I've just brought a Case Logic SLR Zoom Holster SLRC-201

This is replacing the too small Canon bag that came with the 550D and kit lense. I've been looking for something as slim and compact as possible with enough room to carry just 2 filters (ND3 and Polarising), spare battery, IR remote control and cleaning cloth. I'm liking the sling support and the hard base, shame it hasnt got belt loops though. This fits into my courier bag easily and provides very easy access from the top. It takes up the minimum amount of room in a pack but feels like it will protect the camera well. It also fits just about right in a 10 drybag. This solution isnt as robust as the Pelicase but is a bit lighter and more compact.

Hope this helps

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm 

Thanks guys for the input, I've been looking at the travel logic bags and I've spotted a rectangular design which would work well in my daybag.

I'm also going to look at getting a small waterproof case for my other bits & bobs, cheers :D

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:56 am 
did you look in to Click Elite backpacks.
Have one and love it