Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm 
Hi,

I was just about to buy the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6.

But the retailer told me he also has the Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 which is also a good option, 'he says'.

What do you guys think ? Which would be a better quality lens if i didnt care much for the extra 4mm.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 pm 

Not 100% sure without looking at some reviews. But I would imagine the sigma was better. Sigma make good wide angle lenses. Tamron aren't really known for there wide angle lenses. Read some reviews online and you will probably find some detailed explanations on the image quality of both lenses. :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 pm 

I've had the Sigma. Awesome build quality, and pretty good optically, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:14 pm 
Hi Citruspers,

Im also leaning towards the Sigma. :) But just wanted to make the right decision here.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm 
James > Reviews arent any good here (i read on both) when we want to compare and choose the better one. Each review highlights each lens respectively on its pros and cons. But not in relativity to each other.

So when comparing like this, its more just comparing numbers and specs mathematically.

Best is to ask guys who've used both or tried them before.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 pm 

I agree you won't get a complete comparison but you can compare them. It will highlight if there are any problems with the lens and how stuff like how much distortion is apparent. It won't tell you the answer but will help. It will also show charts of sharpness at different apertures which you can compare between the lenses :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm 
Actually ive read the reviews in detail on both, including the test charts etc on lenstip.com and yet each has its pros n cons. Only members here can tell us in an unbiased manner as to how these lenses handle in the real world.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 pm 

I have the Sigma 1020 and it's a fun, very well built lens, but there is a learning curve with it.
You should also look at the Tokina version which some people prefer to the 2 you mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 pm 

I have the Tamron, I can't compare them because I've not used the Sigma but it's one of my favourite lenses by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:59 pm 
Hi Guys,

I just got the Sigma 10-20mm. Was shooting with it this whole afternoon. What i feel may sound absurd but i didnt find it visually epoch making wide when compred to the default 18-55mm kit lens. Sharpness and clarity also seems to be on par with an 18-55 kit lens.

But plz dont flame me for this hmmm, it may even be that ive not worked enough with the lens and hence lack the knowledge to shoot with it properly.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:05 pm 

Stick some samples up plainman007..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:02 pm 
Hi,

Sure, ill do that. But i need a flickr account to post images here like the ones of the sports car above right ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm 

Not necessarily Flickr I think you can do Image shack or any other image host site, you just need the URL of the image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:03 pm 
Hi,

I didnt get around to uploading the pics to flickr but the lens i got is certainly extremely bad in quality. I cant believe a company like Sigma can have such bad QC issues.

It stands nowhere in sharpness to even my 18-55 kit lens. I felt real bad that i didnt see the amazon.com reviews that 50% of the units had soft focus issues. And blurry muddy images. I take a picture @ 10mm inside a small room objects 10 feet away are smudged.

Only when i saw these symptoms and googled with the symptom related workds did i find the amazon.com reviews where 50% of the people who bought the lens have received a bad copy. Even the other half of happy customers are ones who sent the lens back and got a proper copy replacement and only then did they give it 5 stars. In my country they never take it back. I have to suffer with a crap piece of glass that i spent $560 for just about 5 days back. Its a shame on Sigma. And my bad luck that none of the members here had this soft focus issue to warn me about.

I dont think ill EVER buy a sigma again.

If any of you know if i can email sigma's head office and ask them to do something about this that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 pm 

"Only when i saw these symptoms and googled with the symptom related workds did i find the amazon.com reviews where 50% of the people who bought the lens have received a bad copy"

If you google "Elvis is alive" you will even get more hits.

Any company that produced a product with a 50% defective ratio would be long gone.
As it was mentioned earlier, this is "specialty glass" and it takes time to understand how to use it. I'm sure that 100% of people that use a fisheye lens for the first time think its busted as well.