Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vietnamese cyclist
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:13 am 

Last edited by dubaiphil on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 am 

Street photography is something I have never been able to get the courage for. This is absolutely stunning. I love this shot! The black and white is nice on this as well. Looks almost HDR which is good because it is not overly done even if it was implemented here.

I wish I had the courage to randomly take photos of people I don't know. I have always said the street photographers are better photographers than those that focus on studio or landscapes.

Stunning shot here. Well done.

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:23 am 

Thanks for your kind words, MBrutus2009

I was travelling in a 4x4 at the time, at around 50kph. I could see a potential scene unfolding and quickly adjusted ISO to get the shutter speed I thought I'd need. Luckily everything lined up and I got the eye contact as well. I don't think I would have gone for the shot if I was alone on the sidewalk at the time, but I'm starting to get into street photography now so I'd probably just go for it.

Regarding the processing, I adjusted the contrast using presets which I adjusted to taste in Nik Software's Colour Efex Pro (Pro Contrast and Tonal Contrast). These presets can overdo a colour image, but bring in good textures for a B&W conversion. I then used Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro, using the Pull -1 preset and again adjusting to taste before adding a light vignette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:25 pm 

I really do like this image! Thanks for sharing!

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 am 

Thanks RexGig

Post subject: nice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 am 
great photo phil im really getting into street photography but worried about people getting angry when taking there photo with out there consent?? so i;m going to try shooting from the hip style any info for lens type to use? im running canon 550D body
thanks keep the great work going

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 am 

Excellent shot as always, Phil!

I love the black and white with the vignetting, it really brings out the detail and gives it a "retro" look.

As the others mentioned, I also wish that I had the courage to do street photos, here in North America people just don't seem to be as passive. They're worried about where photos may end up, where their face could appear (and for the most part, I don't blame them). However, people don't seem to understand the concept of street photography. I guess it's why rangefinders (notably Leicas) are so popular for street photos, they're intrusive, small and are just built for this kind of shooting.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:58 am 

Thanks EvanK

From my point of view (using a gripped Full Frame camera with all sorts of lenses and the 14-24 being particularly unsubtle) I find it best to find the scene, relax into it and then let things fall into place. If I'm there a while people don't seem to care or notice. That, and not making eye contact or chimping too much, doesn't make it that obvious what you're shooting.