Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Sony announces Alpha NEX-C3

Sony NEX C3 review!

NEXC3 Black by Sony Australia, on Flickr

SAN DIEGO, June 8, 2011 – Sony’s new α NEX-C3 is the world’s smallest, lightest interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C sized sensor.

Offered in a range of stylish colors, the NEX-C3 brings the promise of DSLR-quality photography to the millions of consumers looking to take professional-looking photos without the size and bulk of traditional DSLR cameras.

The NEX-C3 features an attractive new body design that combines a satisfyingly solid metal top casing with an easy-to-use streamlined grip shape. Reducing the size of its internal circuitry visibly shrinks the camera’s size and achieves a body weight of just 225g (approximately 8 ounces) – nearly six percent lighter than its predecessor, the NEX-3 camera. Image quality, functionality and usability of the NEX-C3 camera also surpass that of the NEX-3 model.

The resolution of the camera’s large Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor is boosted to 16.2 effective megapixels, capturing stills and 720p HD video with breath-taking clarity. The large, DSLR-sized sensor also lets users produce pro-quality background defocus effects, whether shooting HD video or stills.

“Building on the success of last year’s α NEX launch, the new NEX-C3 model takes the idea of ‘small camera body, SLR-quality photos’ to a whole new level,” said Kristen Elder, director of the alpha digital imaging business at Sony. “This camera’s brand new, large CMOS sensor and user-friendly interface will allow all photographers, regardless of experience level, to produce unique, custom-styled photographs. The NEX-C3 is a perfect combination of design, performance and creativity that fits a wide range of activities and shooting styles.”

Photo Creativity

The intuitive new Photo Creativity interface on the NEX-C3 camera puts sophisticated controls within easy reach, whether users are shooting stills or HD Video. Technical terms like ‘aperture’, ‘exposure value’ and ‘white balance’ are replaced with the friendlier and more intuitive ‘background defocus’, ‘brightness’ and ‘color’, allowing users to easily create custom-styled photographs. A traditional interface with Aperture/Shutter Priority, Manual and custom functions is always available for experienced users, along with highly customizable soft-keys for programming direct access to important controls.

With the NEX-C3 camera, users don’t need to dig into confusing menu options or guess their effect on a composition. They just need to turn the camera’s rear-mounted control wheel and instantly see the effect of their settings previewed on screen. Also, two or more different settings can be combined to create more sophisticated creative effects.

A new in-camera ‘Picture Effect’ setting lets users add extra impact to stills or HD video during shooting, without the worry of editing images afterwards. ‘Picture Effect’ options include Partial Color, Retro Photo, Pop Color, High Contrast Monochrome, Posterization, High-key and Toy Camera. There’s also a ‘Soft Skin’ effect that removes wrinkles and blemishes from portrait subjects.

Tilting for comfortable viewing at any angle, the high contrast 3-inch (measured diagonally) Xtra Fine LCD features TruBlack screen technology for high-contrast images with rich, deep blacks. This is an ideal way to compose shots and judge the effect of adjusting picture settings, even when viewing outdoors in bright sunlight.

Long-Lasting Battery

The NEX-C3 works even harder to capture amazing images and HD video between battery charges. Improved energy efficiency boosts battery life to a generous 400 still shots per charge – a more than 20 percent increase from the both the NEX-5 and NEX-3 cameras.

Multi-Shot Imaging Technologies

Sony’s Advanced multi-shot technologies further broaden the possibilities of the NEX-C3 camera. 3D Sweep Panorama™ mode captures extra-wide images that can be viewed in 3D on a 3D television with compatible 3D glasses. Auto HDR “stacks” a high-speed burst of three successive exposures to capture extreme shadow and highlight details in a single frame. Similarly, Handheld Twilight and Anti-Motion Blur modes automatically combine six exposures to capture smooth, low-noise images. This avoids hand-blur and subject-blur when shooting in available light.

New E-mount 30mm Macro Lens and Other Compatible Accessories

The versatility of the α E-mount compact camera system grows with new style-matched accessories to expand shooting possibilities even further.

Joining the range of E-mount interchangeable lenses, the SEL30M35 is currently the world’s lightest life-size macro lens (approx 4.9 ounces) for interchangeable-lens cameras. This high-quality 30mm F3.5 macro lens features a 1:1 magnification ratio and minimum working distance of just 0.95 inches (2.4 cm), making it ideal for capturing detail-packed close-ups of small subjects like flowers and insects. Despite its extremely compact size, the SEL30M35 employs one ED glass and three aspherical lens elements for excellent optical performance, with minimized aberration and very high edge-to-edge sharpness and contrast. It also offers smooth, quiet autofocus operation whether shooting stills or HD video. The macro lens is supplied with a matching lens hood.

Also available as an option, the new HVL-F20S is a style-matching flash that clips onto the Smart Accessory Terminal of NEX-C3 and other E-mount cameras. Powered directly by the camera, the flash requires no batteries, making it ultra-compact and light weight for travelling. With a generous GN20 (50mm, at ISO 100, m) flash power rating and adjustable head, it’s ideal for creating natural fill-in and bounce flash effects with portraits and everyday shooting subjects.

The expanded range of coordinating accessories features a new body case/lens jacket and a soft carrying case.

The new camera is also compatible with Sony’s full line of SD memory cards, including the newest Class 10 versions, as well as the Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX series. Available in capacities up to 32 GB, both media enable higher read speeds for more stable and optimal performance by Sony hardware features such as high-speed burst shooting or HD movie shooting.

Firmware update for NEX-5, NEX-3

A firmware upgrade (Version 4) adds the new ‘Picture Effect’ function to existing NEX-5 and NEX-3 cameras. It also adds a Peaking function to assist with more precise manual focusing. This upgrade will be available June 20thand can be downloaded from: (http://www.esupport.sony.com).

Pricing and Availability

The new NEX-C3 ultra-compact digital camera will be available this August in silver, black and pink with an 18-55mm kit zoom lens (model SEL1855) and will cost about $650. It will also be offered in black only with a 16mm lens (model SEL16F28) for about $600.

The new SEL30M35 E-mount Macro lens will be available this October for about $250 and the HVL-F20S flash will be available this August for about $150.

The camera kits, macro lens and new flash will all be sold at Sony retail stores (http://www.sonystyle.com ) and other authorized dealers nationwide.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:50 am 

Like the A33 vs A35, I have to do a spot the difference later and see what does the NEX-C3 bring over the NEX-3.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 pm 

Excluding the 'picture effects' which I personally don't have much interest in, I'd say the primary differences are more controls (2 more soft buttons to be programmed), better sensor, better battery life, smaller body. On the downside, slower fps, lower res & slower priority fps mode.

Not a bad idea, separating it more from the NEX5, so they are a little more distinct...maybe the NEX5 will maintain the speed performance of the current bodies plus the better build, so there's something more obvious to justify the extra expense.

I am hoping for the firmware 4 to not only bring the 'picture effects' but also the additional soft key controls to the current NEX bodies.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:31 pm 

Next month's NEX 7 announcement should be interesting ... 24mp sensor?

The way things stand now, a 16mp compact like a NEX C-3 gets equal or better out of camera image IQ than a pro body costing 4-5 times as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:24 pm 

WestCoast, as an A700 owner yourself you already know that you don't necessarily only consider image quality, and that in many cases functionality and handling are bigger considerations.

I'm still looking at these compact system cameras as while the E-P1 was the first compact model, it certainly isn't up to date in general performance, and it is easy for me to switch to another model as and when one proves it is a sufficient upgrade to be worth the effort. I don't think the C3 is it, but maybe a C5 or the rumoured 7 might be more interesting.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm 

Yes, I'm very aware that there is more to a camera than it's sensor.
But about 3 years ago compacts were regarded vastly inferior with their small and inadequate sensors making them more of a toy rather than a serious tool.
The fact that the 16mp (large) sensor is now the mainstream and in these here compact NEX systems and has identical IQ to a semi-pro model is a very significant advancement.
Not that long ago the Sony 12mp sensor in the A700, D300, D90 was the benchmark, now it's considered "old tech".

**** this looks like the 1st review

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne ... ml?aff=rss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 am 

Hi WestCoast,

You beat me to it! :P A pretty positive review by AP there but my favourite headline from the day comes from "Stuff" magazine. While we struggle along with terminology such as mirrorless, EVIL, compact system, translucent and pellicle Stuff has cut straight to the chase with "Sony unveils Alpha A35 and NEX-C3 lens-swap cameras". Mmm, "lens swap cameras": why didn't we think of that. :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm 

Sony is throwing so many things against the wall to see what sticks, that pretty soon the "Frankenstein edition" will be an acceptable name.

I'm still waiting for a NEX with a viewfinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:44 pm 

I don't want a NEX with a built-in viewfinder, but would absolutely love a little detachable EVF option to stick on top of the current NEX models in the accessory port on top. Obviously they had to have designed that port to do more than accomodate a flash, so it would be nice if they used it. I don't even need a super-high res one - it would just be a nice option to add on in some situations.

Galleries:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:54 pm 

How about this...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/N ... FINDER.HTM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 pm 

That one doesn't do me much good since I don't use the 16mm lens. I'd prefer an electronic version, so it works with any lens, including manual. Something like what Panny offers on their G series cameras - I seem to recall they have a cheaper low res one, and a high res one for more money.

Galleries:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:24 pm 

Here's the Luminous Landscape take on the camera...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... port.shtml

"If having the world's smallest interchangeable lens camera with a top ranked APS-C sensor is something that attracts you, then the new Sony NEX C-3 is the ticket. For entry level photographers looking for top image quality combined with lots of features and gizmos there likely isn't a better choice, though time will have to be spent becoming familiar with the unconventional interface. For the more experienced photographer looking for a high quality portable camera I might suggest waiting for the NEX-7, which is rumoured to not be far off. Hopefully it will have an available EVF and more amenable user interface."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:02 am 

Now that IQ is pretty much at par these days, sounds like it may be up to the "photographer" ... the horror !!
:shock:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/D ... iny-camera

At par with the x100
(scroll down)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:01 pm 

Are there any clear indications of a difference between this and the 5N in terms of image quality?
I see conflicting opinions everywhere and it is almost impossible to figure out if people are talking about jpeg quality or RAW. Since I always shoot RAW, I'm curious if the two differ in RAW file quality.