Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 am 
Site Admin

Sony announces Alpha SLT-A35

SLT-A35 - angle by Sony Australia, on Flickr

SAN DIEGO, June 8, 2011 -- Light, compact and easy to use, Sony’s new α35 (SLT-A35) interchangeable lens camera brings pro-style shooting speeds and diverse creative options to photographers of all abilities.

Building on the acclaimed α33 and α55 models, the α35 camera with Sony’s Translucent Mirror Technology allows responsive, accurate continuous autofocus - whether shooting high-speed still photos or recording full HD movies.

“Our Translucent Mirror Technology continues to push the limits of modern DSLR technology,” said Kristen Elder, director of the alpha digital imaging business at Sony Electronics. “The new α35 camera combines this unique innovation with a newly developed APS HD CMOS sensor and a diverse, user-friendly interface, making it a compelling choice for experienced photographers and first-time SLR buyers alike.”

She added, “Amateur photographers will appreciate the on-screen Help Guide, which gives a clear explanation of selected functions and how they’re used. More advanced photographers will welcome features such as a top panel-mounted button that is fully customizable, allowing instant recall of any one of 14 frequently-used functions according to their preference.”

Premium, High-Speed Performance

Making its debut on the α35 camera, Tele-zoom High Speed Shooting magnifies a central portion of the image area providing an effective 1.4x magnification (appx) while shooting at up to 7 fps. Providing continuous tracking autofocus of still or moving objects, this feature is ideal for capturing fast-moving sports, children’s expressions at just the right moment or distant subjects with a high-speed burst of frames. There’s also a rapid up to5.5 fps drive mode that offers full-resolution continuous shooting with tracking AF.

With a resolution of 16.2 effective megapixels, the Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor delivers stunningly detailed, low-noise still and HD video images. Complementing the sensor’s extremely high resolution and sensitivity, the camera’s powerful BIONZ® processor optimizes image data to assure flawless images with rich, natural color reproduction. A maximum sensitivity of ISO 12800 and extension to ISO 25600 makes it possible to capture beautifully natural still images and HD video in low light.

Advanced Quick AF Live View continuously displays a real-time output from the main image sensor during still or Full HD video shooting. Light is partially directed from the translucent mirror to an AF sensor to permit non-stop precision TTL phase-detection autofocus – a benefit not possible with traditional DSLR cameras.

Shooting stills or AVCHD™ video, users can enjoy a superbly detailed view on the high-quality 3-inch Xtra Fine LCD™ display. Sony’s TruBlack™ technology assures high-contrast images with rich, deep blacks – even when shooting outdoors.

The high-resolution Tru-Finder™ display offers a precision alternative to framing shots on the camera’s LCD. Offering an extremely detailed, high contrast image with full 100% field coverage, it’s ideal for live preview of picture effects and exposure adjustments. Accurate composition of landscapes, architecture and other scenes is enhanced by 3 selectable grid line patterns.

Creative New “Picture Effects”

The α35 model offers a new in-camera ‘Picture Effect’ setting that lets users add extra impact to stills or Full HD video during shooting, without the worry of editing images afterwards. Effects can be previewed on the camera screen, allowing photographers to see the result of a chosen effect instantly rather than post-shooting. The inspiring palette of artistic treatments includes Retro Photo, High-key, Toy Camera and Posterization.

It’s also easy to produce dramatic Partial Color effects, with a single color highlighted against the rest of the image in monochrome. This popular effect is normally achieved through a series of painstaking steps using photo editing software. With the new α35 camera it’s both automatic and instant.

Improved Battery Life and Compatible α Accessories

Reductions in power consumption boost the camera’s battery life to a generous 440 still shots (approx. when using the rear LCD panel) between battery charges – a 30 percent increase over its predecessor.

The α35 model is compatible with the full range of 32 A-mount interchangeable lenses that includes six Carl Zeiss® lenses, as well as the full range of alpha accessories including flashes, carrying cases, LCD monitors and more.

The new camera is compatible with Sony’s full line of SD memory cards, including the newest Class 10 versions, as well as the Memory Stick PRO-HG™ Duo HX series. Available in capacities up to 32 GB, both media enable higher read speeds for more stable and optimal performance by Sony hardware features such as high-speed burst shooting or HD movie shooting.

Firmware Upgrade for A33 / A55 Models

Available beginning June 20th, a firmware update for existing α33 and α55 cameras adds several creative and operational enhancements.

Support for the ‘Picture Effect’ function featured on the new α35 model is now offered. High-Speed Synch is supported during wireless operation with a compatible external flash (α55 only). Ergonomics are further improved with revised menus and a new mode that lets users switch shooting parameters overlaid on-screen for clear, uncluttered composition. The a33 and a55camera’s Digital Level Gauge can also be displayed when shooting via the optional CLM-V55 external LCD monitor. Frequently used features can now be custom-assigned to the D-RANGE button for rapid, menu-free access.

The upgrade can be downloaded from: (www.esupport.sony.com).

Pricing and Availability

The new α35 interchangeable lens camera will be available this August with an 18-55mm kit zoom lens (model SEL1855) for about $700. It will also be offered as a body-only (without kit lens) for about $600.

Both the camera kit package (model SLT-A35K) and body-only (model SLT-A35) will be sold at Sony retail stores (www.sonystyle.com) and other authorized dealers nationwide.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 am 

Very interesting. I haven't digested the details yet, but I wonder if it shows underlying improvement over the A33 predecessor, or is it little more than a routine refresh?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 pm 

This and the new NEX have improved battery life, and the much praised 16mp sensor that's in the A580, D7000, K5, and A55 is now the new standard across the Sony line.

Last edited by WestCoast on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm 

And it has been modified to allow longer video recording, while improving battery life...not bad at all :)!

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:28 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, has it lost the tilting screen on the predecessor A33?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm 

Correct ;).

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:13 pm 

the body looks familiar. it reminds me of the H series zoom camera. I have the H2 which also has the extended viewfinder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:33 am 

So the upcoming Sony α35 will not have tilt/rotate display, and will not have GPS built-in?

Are there any advantages/improvements on α35 over α55?

Apple: MacBook Air (11-in, 1.8GHz i7), Mac Pro (12-core 2.66GHz), MacBook Pro (15-in), iMac (21.5-in, Core i5), Mac mini Server (2.66GHz), iMac (24-in, C2D), PowerBook G4 (12-in, 1.33GHz), iMac G4 (1.25GHz)x2, PowerMac G4 (dual 1.44GHz).
iPhone: 5s, 5, 4S, 4, 3G
iPad: Air, Mini, 4, 3, 2, original (all models are 3G/LTE)
iPod touch: 5th gen x2, 4th gen x2 & 1st gen,
4 x AirPort Extreme, 2 x Time Capsule...

Post subject: SLT a35 or Nikon D5100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:00 pm 
Please help !!!!!! i want to buy a DSLR its going to be my first but i do have a bit of camera knowledge and i do know how to use an DSLR (thanks to my friends) but now the time has come when i want to buy a dslr and i am confused between Nikon D5100 and Sony SLT a35 ! guys please help me to decide which one to buy !!!! I like capturing sunsets, texures, sports images and a lot of video for time lapse and interviewing purpose !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Dipak, the SLTs are quite different from traditional DSLRs - take a look at my A33 review to find out more about their pros and cons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 am 
I di understand the gyaan ! But what confuses me is that which one to buy when I am at the store ! Which one would recommend me ??? color depth
D5100: 23,5 bits
SLT A35: 23,3 bits

Which one do you recommend ? Over here in Mumbai not many people are even aware about the existence of SLT a35 !!! All they say is closed eyes nikon ! Thus wanted a opinion from somebody who knows cameras in and out !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 am 

Hello dipak_Raghuwansi, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Your question is best posted in the "Buying a new camera but undecided on brand?" section. So I've moved your other post there.
It is also a good practice/rule to post a question only once in the forum.