Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Glad you like them! The next part of the review to be published are the comparative results, so you'll be able to see how the high ISO settings directly compare...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

If you've not already seen them, the results pages are now finished!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... ults.shtml

I've also started testing the new Leica 25mm f1.4 on the G3, and you can see samples here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... -4_H-X025/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:07 pm 
Quote:
Using the teleconverter is exactly the same as cropping later.

No it isn't. Using a teleconverter maintains image resolution just like when using a longer lens. Where as cropping, you loose resolution. The downside of using a teleconverter vs a dedicated telephoto lens are some IQ loss and/or additional distortion.

Quote:
This brings me to my question. When wanting to extend the zoom range on the Panasonic I believe there is a tele conversion option that increase the focal range by 1.5x(at 8m pixals) and 2.0x (4m)

AFAIK, Panasonic doesn't make a teleconverter specifically for m43, but there are other options, like the Raynox DCR-1541PRO/DCR-1540PRO, that can be used on the 45-200mm.

When recording video, the GH2 has an extra-tele video mode where it crops to the center to give 1920x1080 (HD resolution), instead of scaling. But I don't know if this is available on the G3. If it is, a teleconverter is not needed for video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:09 am 
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. High ISOs are clean and seems to be on par or slightly better than the 2 DSLRs as the reviewer has stated. You don't have to sacrifice IQ for small size anymore.

I've tried both 600d and d5100 and prefer handling the Nikon. Haven't seen the G3 in person but liked the G2, so I most likely prefer the G3 over the 2 DSLRs.

The G2's EVF (same as G3's) is big, bright and has 100% coverage. Neither d5100 or 600d has such a nice viewfinder. You have to get at least a d7000 to get a decent viewfinder.

All 3 cameras have swivel LCD but only the G3 has touch screen. Some may consider it a gimmick, but it is intuitive and has some nice uses, like picking a focus point by tapping it on the screen like on an iPhone.

Considering it has a lot going for it and is actually cheaper than those 2 mid entry level from Canon and Nikon, the G3 seems like a no brainer.

Can't wait for the conclusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've now finished my G3 review!

Please see my Panasonic Lumix G3 review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:08 am 

Quote:
Panasonic has also fitted the G3 with one of its push-dials on the rear, where a press can change the function of the dial itself. In Aperture and Shutter Priority, the dial naturally defaults to adjust the f-number and shutter speed respectively, but push it in and it'll subsequently adjust the exposure compensation. Push it in again and it reverts to adjusting the f-number or shutter speed. Pushing the dial in full Manual switches between adjusting the shutter speed and aperture. In Program it can be used to shift the exposure, or again adjust the exposure compensation with a push. Like previous Panasonic models to implement the same dial, it works really well, although I found the wheel itself could have done with protruding a little further to provide better grip; as it stands, I sometimes found myself accidentally pushing it in when I wanted to turn it instead.

Gordon: can you confirm if this push button dial or for that matter any button allows easy access to a magnified view of the image in the electronic viewfinder (as a manual focus aide), supposedly this option is available on the GH2, and would be nice to know if such a feature exists on the G3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi capital, sorry, it's long since been returned to Panasonic, so I can't check in person... the PDF manual may be able to help though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:13 am 

capital wrote:
Gordon: can you confirm if this push button dial or for that matter any button allows easy access to a magnified view of the image in the electronic viewfinder (as a manual focus aide), supposedly this option is available on the GH2, and would be nice to know if such a feature exists on the G3?

Yes, MF Assist can be accessed via the left arrow or touch screen, just like on the GH2. It can also be mapped to Fn1 or Fn2.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:33 pm 
Quote:

Hi

You can assign a button to it, but yes, as per the GF1 and GH2, if you push the dial in it applies magnification to MF lenses.

With a M4/3 AF lens, if you half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring on the lens it will bring up the magnification.

Hope this helps.

Gordon,
Thanks for the G3 review. Great blend of technical information and real-world use by a photographer. So many reviews are opinionated without evidence to back the opinions, or are just a list of statistics and cold tests. I want and need the testing, but want to know how the camera feels in use. Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Pelao! Be sure to tell your friends about cameralabs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:31 pm 
I would, but they already know. I posted your G3 review at some places I hang out, such as:

http://www.mu-43.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:04 am 
Thanks for your review Gordon. It helped me make the decision to get teh G3 having had a GF1 ever since they first came out. I'm impressed so far but until Adobe update stuff to accept RAW files from it I'll reserve final judgement.

Here's a jpg straight out of it. It's had no processing at all apart from leveling it. I'm quite impressed. It was in aperture priority with it wound open and wasn't in a special mode. I'm sure they're useful, I've just not experimented with them yet!

Post subject: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:21 pm 
I got my hands on a G3 - currently own a Gh1 & GF2. I liked feel of the g3 over my gf2 for sure, but I wasnt a big fan of the viewfinder. Seemed much smaller than the EVF on my GH1. Probably not a big deal for many, but if you use manual focus lenses, it was marginal..

Guess ill have to wait for the gh3..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:29 pm 
It's a fair point about the viewfinder. You wouldn't want to rely on it for manually focussing looking at the full picture. I thought you could zoom in when using manual lenses though, just as you do when you select manual focussing on a normal M4/3 lens. I might be wrong though so don't buy one on the strength of that!

Post subject: Dmc-g3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:28 pm 
I have a dmc-g3 on pre-order and am stuck between this or the new sony a35? I want a camera easy to use, that will also do great video. I have a canon xti now and a canon hd video hf100. Want a new camera to replace both. I have a 3 year old that does not sit still for long, but love to get pics of him. What would everyone recommend. My wife uses it the most , so depth of field exposure controll, etc. Are not really needed, the better the "auto" mode the better. Want to taketo disney, etc. So i liked the size of the g3, but sony does not look to much bigger? Thanks a ton for any help. This site is my favorite revie site, the reviews are very comprehensive and done awesome. Thanks again