Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:53 am 
Hi,

Im buying the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DC EX HSM brand new in the store. But in my area stores are notorious for giving out faulty units and the next hour theyll ask you to mail it in for warranty claim saying theyll repair it for you. Thats a real sucker.

What should i look for when buying the lens please ? Any advice for how to check it properly would be nice.

Should i shine a torch into the mount or something to check for bad glass ? Its a slightly expensive lens and hence id just like to know.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 pm 

If your local stores have a reputation for selling faulty lenses then I would buy online. Do you really need it immediately? It also might be cheaper online. There is no way of checking every single part of the lens by just looking at it/ feeling it. If are going to buy in store make sure you take your camera so you can check stuff like the autofocus.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:55 pm 
I agree with what James said. If your about to spend a hefty chunk of your money on a product, why get a piece of crap? Don't go to those stores. If you need it immediately find a different store, otherwise buy online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:46 pm 
Hi Guys,

Thanks. About ordering online. Ive considered all options including ebay. All are the same price. Buying online wont get me even the one year warranty that these give me.

Im sorry if i forgot to mention that im not in the USA. Im across the globe from the USA. So buying online from the USA to my country is a no go. Same price + $50-60 extra for shipping. Costlier than my country.

There are many stores. All prominent stores. But in my counry theres no consumer protection like in your country where you can return a product your not satisfied with within 30 days and take a replacement or even opt for another product etc. All that doesnt work here. Here once you pay and walk out with the lens and find something not working, he'll tell you that its now your headache. Even an hour later.

Also there are no official Sigma service centers in my area. I have to mail it into the neighbouring state for any service problems.

No im in no hurry to immediately buy it. But it seems the lens is now about $20 lesser than it usually is. I want to start doing some real estate photography and need this lens for that. But if i have to wait for shipping as i explained above its costlier.