Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kushti in Dubai
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:20 pm 
Kushti means wrestling (in Pakistani I believe) and each friday evening, in the Deira area of Dubai, Pakistani labourers gather to either participate in or watch the action.

Its a weird mix of strong men, theatre, sand and bagpipes and is definitely worth a look if your in town. As well as being a very different photo opportunity its also a great and very different cultural experience, not the normal Dubai style tourism

I found out about it through a Gulf Photo Plus organised photo walk. Here are a couple of my very few decent shots.

Others can be found here along with photo information in the picasa pages https://picasaweb.google.com/iangandert ... directlink

It was a learning day for me. New camera and trying to think about the photos I was taking which is not normally something I'd do.

I know these arent great photos but I'm not displeased with them, they tell a nice story I think. CC welcome but go a bit easy on me :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 am 

Welcome to the forum, Ian. I saw the photo walk advertised but didn't get the chance to join - it sold out pretty quickly.

Those photos are looking good - I've always wanted to find out where the wrestling takes place so you'll have to drop me a hint...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am 

Whoa!

I've just spotted a cunning link on your blog!

Thanks for the endorsement!
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:40 am 
Quote:
I've always wanted to find out where the wrestling takes place so you'll have to drop me a hint...!

We walked along the main road parallel to the sea from the Deira Fish and Veg market towards a big hotel (the Hyatt I think). there is a big open (sandy) area where the guys play football and cricket. Its seething with photo opportunities down there.