Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm 

I am working on a startup and we are currently developing a unit that will enable cameras to be connected to the 4G/LTE and 3G network. The unit is small and, depending on our success, can either be integrated in the camera, into a battery grip or even into a memory card. The uploaded pictures (both JPEG and RAW) or movies transfer directly to a server or a computer. This means you could not only use it in a wireless studio setting, but also on sport events where the pictures can be sent back to the office immediately or on travels for simultaneous back-up etc. The unit will use the regular memory as buffer, and when outside 4G/LTE coverage, the 3G network will be used. Compared to existing solutions (e.g. Nikon WT-4A and Canon WFT-E5A) the unit is much smaller, the transferring rate is much higher and range issues are eliminated.

We would love to get input on how you would use such a product, and what potential issues you see with it. Also, in a few months we are hoping to set up trials with a number of different users at low or no cost. If you would be interested in participating, send me a message.

Thanks for your help!

John Nordstrom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:40 pm 

sounds like an Eye-fi card, but rather than wifi it uses LTE? How do you plan to charge for wireless data service? And what are the benefits of this compared to using an Eye-fi card+Mobile hot spot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

I'd agree with Tomis. I presume you'd charge for data like any other smartphone, presumably partnering with a mobile network.

Be great if you could squeeze it all into an SD or CF card, but I suspect there's insufficient room, and I'm also unsurure about the antenna / radio issues.

If it's an external unit, then it'll have to connect and attach somewhere, presumably like a battery grip. I think below the camera would be better than on the hotshoe, unless it's really really small.

I really liked the WFTs which added a grip, and these with cellular connectivity could be cool, but the price would have to be low to reach a mass market. As it stands, the WFT pricing means they're only really for pros. Depends who you're aiming at and how many you want to sell.

Best of luck!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:55 pm 

My current phone contract has a limit of 1GB of mobile internet & with RAW shots taking up like 15mbs a snap, taking pictures would rapidly use up all of my allowance.

The UK like many other countries have started to halt unlimited data plans as people with iphones and other smartphones are using the service so much !

I like the sound of the idea however unless something like WiMAX gets rolled out through the UK I cant see it being feasible .

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---