Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 pm 

Just simplify his life by going to a shop, lining up all the sub-500 cameras, and choosing the one that feels the best in his hands.

You can agonise for months over features, but the truth is, there's very little difference between different manufacturers' models.

Don't obsess over Canikon either. Just because they're the most popular doesn't mean they're the best for your buddy. I know many Canon users who've bought their entry-level camera online without ever having held it only to be disappointed by its cheap-o feel and slippery grip.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:45 pm 
+1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:12 pm 

Quote:
Lenses that require IS have it built in anyway, so this isn't neccesarily an advantage.

Just a quickie note on this one:

That's probably not QUITE accurate for a few reasons. First, lenses that require IS have it built in anyway if they are a pricier version, but some cheap or older used zoom lenses for a person on a budget will often mean getting a non-stabilized version. When you have in-body stabilization, no worries - even the oldest, cheapest lens you stick on there will be stabilized. It's a perk worth mention for someone looking to stay low budget, since very old cheap zooms and primes can be picked up used for very little money and still get stabilized. And secondly, many standard and short primes are not offered stabilized. I'd argue that the low light capabilities and properties of these lenses make them very desirable for handheld low light shooting, which often means cranking up the ISO and trying to keep shutter speed above 1/100 at the least. But grab a 30mm F1.4 or 50mm F1.8, and throw in stabilization, and now you might be able to save a stop or two on the ISO by shooting a slower shutter speed and still maintain stability handheld - since you now can hold 1/30 or even a 1/15 shutter steady.

Not that in-lens or on-body is better than the other - just thought I'd mention a few ways in which in-body does have some nice uses and a few unique advantages of its own.

I'd also agree with the A580 recommendation over the A390 - if he can pony up the extra cash. If not, consider the A560 which is still much better than the A390, and only a little less capable than the A580. Or hunt down a used or closeout A550 or A500, which if they're still around can usually be found for less than $500 US. The better focus systems, faster focus, better controls, better LCDs, better live view, bigger buffers, faster fps, huge battery life, much better high ISO ability, and all the multistacking tricks make it 3x the camera for only a little more money.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:24 pm 

The buyer will most likely be using the kit lens.

I will certanily pass the informaiton on. As a first time DSLR user though, I don't think he will miss anything that he hasn't had before.