Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:41 am 

Hi Does any body have any experience with lightroom changing the colour and brightness of an image after the image previews for the first time?

as an example the local football team my son plays for has a red kit, if i import an image it'll look fine in the thumbnail and when hit it for the the first time the image will open and look what to me is the correct shade of red and then bang it'll fill in and look to saturated.

Another example would be my wife too several shots at a wedding recently and all looked like they went a few stops darker as soon as the image opened correctly.

I've trawled the web and there are a few opinions like i'm only seeing the jpeg preview to start with or my import settings are wrong but none of that make sense to me.

Hope somebody can shed some light..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:16 am 

Think I've found the answer and it does seem to be the preview, This may be worth a read for any Lightroom & Nikon noobs like me.

The issue with the Darker images is Active D lighting, the preview stored with the RAW is the image taken with ADL and the only RAW converters that recognise ADL are the Nikon ones. Apparently the way ADL works is the photo is taken a few points of a stop darker than what is set and a marker is contained in the NEF file to tell he Nikon Raw converter to apply the ADL algorithm, Lightroom does not support this so shooting RAW with ADL is pointless unless you use Nikon Capture NX. Another way to get rid of the sudden change is to switch your render preview from the default Minimal to Standard, the Standard preview is taken from the RAW itself but may take a little longer to show.

The issue with the red football kit seems to be another Lightroom downside in comparison to Capture NX2 but apparently it's much better in Lightroom 3 and can be sorted by switching Camera Profiles from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard, I've tried it and it makes a world of difference especially with harsh saturated reds that seem quite common in Lightroom.

This guy http://ishootshows.com/2010/01/22/lightroom-3-vs-nikon-capture-nx-2/ has gone into quite a bit of detail about the differences between Lightroom and Capture NX, very subtle but depending on what you shoot it could make a world of difference

Hope it helps somebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:22 am 

Exactly. I don't use ADL for that reason, but I also switched from Lightroom to Bibble, I liked the results better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:50 pm 

Although I'm using Canon, I have the same issue when importing in Lightrloom. I've noticed that, no matter what you do, lightroom defaults with it's own color scheme and it is

the first thing that I change when I start processing.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:47 pm 

I've downloaded the Bibble free trial and it's OK but there was no profile for my 35mm 1.8 and I thought the test images I imported just looked a little flat. I don't think I'll move away from Lightroom and the ADL was probably 95% of the issue and only then on the images where it was in use.

@Radu have you tried playing with import presets? If you do practically the same edit's after import it may be worth doing but it'll mark all you images as being edited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:56 pm 

Bibble defaults to very flat images. Check for the look profiles in the right hand tab, and chance that to, say, wedding.

Also, the perfectly clear button is pure magic, it reads my mind :D