Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:46 pm 
If anybody could give me some advice on the following problem I'd really appreciate it.
It seems like the Compact flash card (SanDisk Ultra II 4 Gb) in my Sony A700 cannot be readable by a computer anymore. When I connect it through a card reader or a cable it gives me the message that the card needs to be formatted. At the same time my camera can perfectly read it and I can see all the pictures, as well as create and delete new ones. Before starting a new photo session (really important one) I did a usual card format as before and nothing strange occured. I can recall though that before formatting I decided to set all the settings to originals but I assume it should not affect anything.
My question is: can one insert a memory stick and copy all the data from Compact Flash onto the memory stick inside the camera? After that I can transfer the data from the memory stick into the computer. Has anybody tried to do this in Sony A700 and is there such an option at all? Since this can be my only option to recover data I need to know wheather buying a memory stick is worthy.
Thanks everybody for a possible help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am 
The problem is the card & not the camera. Well you should format it,once a type of memory get errors,formatting is the only solution. And I would advice you to get another card to replace that one. Better safe than sorry with these devices,especially when they're relative cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:34 pm 
I would happily format it but then I will lose all my pictures..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:19 pm 

Hi kost80,

So why not download the images from your camera via USB (page 129 of the manual refers) and then format the card? Or am I missing something?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:41 pm 
Tried it, does not work as well. I get the message that the card needs to be formatted. More to the puzzle: yesterday I bought a new Kingston 4 Gb card, put it inside my Sony A700, took a shot and tried to transfer it to the Laptop via a Card Reader. The whole situation repeated again. Then I tried to format the card by my computer but it would not do it. So it is not the card, the camera obviously does something to the card so it is not recognizable by the computer anymore. Then I put the card inside my other camera, Sony A200, formatted it, took a shot and tried to read it again. To my surprise I got the same message on my laptop, so now even the other camera does the same thing. Total mistery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 pm 

Hi kost80,

So it seems that, as you say, the camera is breaking CF cards. An obvious step to take is to remove the card in the A700 and examine the pins in the camera's card reader for signs of damage. But even if nothing is visible it looks very much as though the camera is going to have to visit the service centre given that it appears to have damaged two cards. :evil:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm 
Hi Bob,
the pins on the card were indeed the problem. One of them was bent which presumably caused damage to the old card and was the reson why the new one was not readable as well. I straightened the pin and the new card is now recognizable. So I am happy that at least my camera is alright. The old card with important pictures I let examine to one of the whizzes and he was able to copy the entire partition of the card to the computer from where the pictures were read and thus recovered. Thanks for helping me to discuss the problem and for useful hints!