Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:03 pm 

Hello samroberts77, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
You're right: the best camera is the one you have with you.
I once stopped shootin gin earnest because I was not willing to schlepp all the equipment around. Plus I still regret that no full-format DSLR is as small and light as my Olympus OM 2N :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 am 
any review of the E5 in the pipeline Gordon? would be great if there was.

Post subject: E-5 Noise
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm 
The biggest complaint about the E-5 is the noise levels when you shoot above 1600 ISO. So what! Not long ago this was the problem with most DSLR cameras. As soon as you drop below 800 ISO all cameras start to lose big time with DR, color, SNR, and overall picture quality. Visit DXO image sensor analysis and see for your selves. Shoot 200-400 ISO when ever possible with the E-5. Low noise has become a marketing hype. NOISE IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM...READ ON!

There are two types of noise: fixed and random. The random causes the most problem.

Today there are excellent program to handle noise. Here are some of the best and in no particular order:

DXO; PS CS5; Topaz DeNoise. Topaz state that they can retain detail and expand the photo range by 4 Stops!! I simply do not have that much noise. Topaz show examples of a Canon 5d MK II at ISO 25,400. Shooting a wedding reception with F2.2 with a 50 mm at 1/40 sec required an ISO of 5000 and after DXO I had no visible noise with my 5D Mk II. With the Olympus E-5 you could take the same shot at F2.8, SS-1/20, ISO 2500.

I have used DXO with outstanding results. It appears to me that you can shoot at 6400 ISO and remove the noise with one or all of the above. Olympus would have been wise to add 12,800 to the menu accordingly. I tackled a noisy E-510 1600 ISO image with great results in DXO alone.

If you can, shoot the image and over expose to the right side of the histogram as much as possible until you get to the bar. Never exceed the right side bar as you will blow out your highlights. This is called exposing to the right side of the histogram. Do this in all low light shots but do not clip the highlights. You can then bring the image back in DXO, CS5, ect. This is good advice even with a D3S. This is good advice for all shots!!

Remember, most of the image noise is in the shadows anyway. Blurring in PS will remove it. That is what our F1.4/F2.8 lenses do anyway. That is why we bought them in the first place- to blur the background.

The reason for doing this is two fold. You max the signal to noise ratio. Secondly and very important, the right quarter of the histogram contains 50% of your image information. Why lose that? To do this you might have to lower your shutter speed down to 1/20 of a second and use a small F stop like 1.8-2.2. You have to watch your DOF carefully and to not blur everything. Using DOFMaster, if the subject is 10 ft away at F4.0 you DOF is 6.5 ft to 28 ft. Using a 50mm this changes to a DOF of about 9 ft to 12 ft.

Because the E-5 has built in IS, you can tweak your shutter speed. If you are using a camera with no built in IS, SS become very important aspect to prevent camera shake if you are not using a tripod or monopod. Most and if not all of Canon prime lenses do not have IS.

Another trick is to shoot these shots with a lens setting below 50mm say 24mm. Here you get great DOF and the SS without IS is 1/20 sec. With the E-5 with IS, you might be able to shoot SS 1/10 but subject movement might occur. Therefore take several shots, it doesn't cost anything more with digital.

If you absolutely must have extreme ISO then buy a Nikon D3S FF along with their very expense F 1.4/F2.8 lenses. You will have a great camera that is rated slightly above the E-5 at 3X the price. The need for us to have this ISO range is so low and the time to remove the noise is so small, why pay $4000 more for a body and another $5000 more for a set of lenses above what it will cost to buy equal quality lenses from Olympus with better F stop range.

As a side note: Topaz Labs have done what no one else does. They sell their plug-ins at very reasonable prices. They even have just release InFocus to sharpen your out of focus images!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not know of anyone else who does this. Also their ReMask 3 is the best that I have seen and is normally very fast except for those pesty backgrounds.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:12 pm 
Quote:
The biggest complaint about the E-5 is the noise levels when you shoot above 1600 ISO

For those who missed it, here is the dpreview review of the Olympus E-5: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:16 pm 

I was expecting a review here as well, but I suppose it won't come anymore. Maybe because there is not much activity any more on this forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:23 am 
Site Admin

I was hoping to do one, but Olympus don't ship cameras out to me in NZ anymore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:22 pm 

That's a pity and seems not very clever of Olympus. It means Olympus and the E5 get less attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:23 am 

Olympus needs to release something spectacular - because I LOVE LOVE LOVE Oly glass, so much better than its competitors, but Im soooo dissapointed in the bodies - its why I upgraded my E510 to a 7D.

BUT, I WILL get a High End Oly Body if they do something about their system. They need to be competitive, not "different" Becuase I dont want my favorite camera company to focus on selling small cameras, because all those lovely lenses they make would not make it to the pro users like me!!!!!!

Gordon, please demand a E5 body from Oly for a review. Hopefully they make an outstanding E6 or E7

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 pm 

Some successor would be nice (E40, E550), but I doubt it will happen, although Olympus said they will continue the Ex and Exx series.

Anyway, the price of the E5 is finally going down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:35 am 

If you want an Olympus DSLR now in the UK, there are fewer retailers that have any stock, and even some of the larger ones only have the E-5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:02 pm 

In the Netherlands availability of the E5 and the Pen is good. Other models are not in production any more and apparantly there's no stock left of the old models. (I'm not talking about compact camera's).

Btw: another 100 Euro less in 1 week for the E5 € 1399 now