Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 am 
Hello people,

Thanks for your insight. Since I am an amateur photographer and I have the time to wait, I will perhaps wait a bit and see what happens around April/May. Everyone, thanks for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm 

As someone who got the D3100 now I've to say a nice piece of kit :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 pm 
Owned the 3100 for a few months now,

very impressed, super first SLR.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:30 pm 
Hi fellas..
Im a doctor most of the time and an amateur photographer (once in a while :-)) with the nikon D3100 and a standard 18-55 kit lens. Ive had a few instances where the lack of a telephoto became painfully evident to me. I would like to know two things...

is image/optical stabilization really essential in a telephoto?
is it imperative to buy a nikon AF-S lens or will a sigma do?

ive narrowed down my choices to the following two lenses..
1. Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR
2. Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM

Im a real NooB in this..so any help would be appreciated.. the reason ive shortlisted these cheaper lenses and not the more expensive ones is that i dont get that many chances or reasons to use the longer 300mm lenses.
I would also like to know if these would be well compatible with the D3100.
Umm..and i think the D3100 has a filter size of 52mm..so if theres a lens of say..58mm, is there some kind of adapter u can fit onto this??

Mr.Gordon..Im a big fan of ur very lucidly explained youtube videos.. would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out...
Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:32 pm 

Hi,

I shot a bird in a series of shots and VR was useful there. For me I use my 55-300mm mostly on my tripod so switch it off there. Depends if you plan to use it handheld or for sports on a monopod etc.

I would say it's nice to have. Regarding the lenses both will autofocus as far as I know as the HSM is a High Sonic Motor (as AF-S). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding filters. Some lenses do have a 52mm threat and others 77mm. It's not the camera thread itself but more the end of the lens. What will you be shooting? If you shoot sports you might want to consider faster glass.

Post subject: hello...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:18 am 
hi...thanks for the quick reply.
Im not planning to shoot sports. im into landscapes, nature shots, maybe some wildlife pics at a safe distance.
I get to see some spectacular sunsets in my part of the world so thats one of my most common shots.
Also, i probably would be shooting a few low light pics...
As for the HSM on the sigma...will it work on the D3100? coz, I was told the AF will work only with nikon AF-S and AF-I lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 am 

Get REDy for something new, everybody! The D3100, in glorious red!

Image courtesy of Nikon Rumors

Image courtesy of Nikon.com

I initially got a bit excited when I found out that there was going to be some sort of new product from Nikon coming today, I wasn't expecting too much but I at least thought that we would've seen a new lens (I was hoping for a 24mm DX or something along that line).

My first reaction when I saw this was: Didn't Pentax try this multiple times before, miserably failing? But if people will buy it, I guess why not. Nikon probably wants some of the (non existent :P) market share from the red 1100D.

What do you think about this new D3100? I'd love to hear your responses!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 am 
I recently bought the one in black. No idea why anyone would bother with the red one. That color makes it look like a toy or an accessory for teenage girls.. Surprising strategy from Nikon. However, in my own opinion, since they decided to change the color, might as well had made it white, that would have looked awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 am 

Mi.Cald wrote:
might as well had made it white, that would have looked awesome.

Yeah, Canon building white lenses, Nikon building white cameras :D
Actually I'm missing the "metal colored" ("silver") cameras...
The newest "silver" Nikon camera I find is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D50 (scroll down) <-- Nikon D50 :roll:

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 am 
it definitely looks great in silver! I wonder why that trend died out..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10