Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 am 
Dear all,

i am a huge newbie in SLR and photography, i have a canon EOS 350D (may be it was called Canon EOS Rebel XT in US) and had always used it in full newbie mode letting the camera in full automatic (the wheel mode is on green square)

i just have received a brand new Tamron 18-270mm F-3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD and try it a bit, with the same "auto green square mode"

and i'm quite puzzled, it always triggers the flash, while i am outside with a very shiny/sunny day.

and it seems to me that it most often appears when using it at 270 mm

please, have you any idea why it is doing so ?

i first thought, that it was due to fact that this lens is heavier and my way of handling the camera with this lens, my fingers were masking the cell that automatically decide to trigger the flash or not, but it is not only that. I have not clue at all of why the flash always appears and flash :(

thank you for any help provided

regards,

(and please apologize my approximate english)

EDIT : i can, of course, set the newbie mode with no flash allowed and in this case it will not trigger, but i am bit confused that the camera can not decide anymore in "full auto mode" ("green square") that it needs flash or no... Having the flash always on is quite disturbing and will probably decrease battery autonomy a lot :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 pm 

Your camera decides whether to fire the flash after metering the amount of light coming through your lens.
Being that fully zoomed in at 270mm the lens is at f6.3 (limiting the amount of light able to reach your sensor ) . In Auto the camera compensates by popping up the flash to give the camera more light.

to resolve this issue I would really advise you to make the step of flicking the wheel from the green square --> P

In P you will be able to do help resolve the flash fireing.

Putting it into P will stop the flash popping up unless you want it to. Your camera will need slightly longer shutter speed to get the same amount of light.
If you adjust your ISO ( you sensors light sensitivity ) and make it more sensitive ( higher the number the more sensitive) you can reduce the exposure time.

Hope this helps a little bit .

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 pm 

Hello Shag, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
As to your post: Does the "Autoflash" also happen when you zoom the lens back to 18mm, or say 50mm under sunny conditions?