Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, my D5100 review is well underway, so as always, here's a taster of some results:

NEW! Nikon D5100 vs Canon 600D / T3i noise!

NEW! Nikon D5100 HD video samples!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I just completed my Nikon D5100 review - let me know what you think!

NEW! See our Nikon D5100 review!

Post subject: Nikon D5100 vs Canon T3i
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:13 pm 
o.k. bottom line, which camera should I buy between these two as it is my first dslr purchase and I can't afford to make a mistake and have regrets later. This will be a gift for a grandson just getting a well-earned doctorate. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:24 pm 
Between the D5100 and 600D? Get him to try them both and see which one is more comfortable in his hands. Feature and image quality wise they are basically the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:34 pm 

Image quality-wise I do not agree completely :). The sensor in the D5100 (and in the D7000, A580/A55 and the K-5) is a much more recent design compared to Canon's 18 MP sensor found in the 7D/60D/550D/600D. You may think that in the end the difference won't be noticeable, but the sensor in the new generation of cameras - like the D5100 - is much better in my opinion. With this new sensor, you can recover a lot of detail from the shadows without getting a lot of noise. Also, high ISO performance has been improved (if not as much as the noise in the shadows).

My photos on Flickr...

Last edited by Joris Van den Berghe on Mon May 30, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 pm 
A very nice review, as always!

@Papa6
It's hard to decide between brands since both cameras are so good... If the gift is to be a surprise and your grandson is definitively not seeing the camera before he gets it, then I suggest you to ponder which features yout grandson will like better.

Take the user interface for example. Do you think he will like the arguably simpler and novice-friendly interface of the Nikon, or the more sofisticated offered by Canon?

Do you think he'll shoot a lot of video or take shots from ackward angles where the articulated screen of the Nikon would come handy?

Has he ever expressed any preference towards any of the brands? Given how good both cameras seem to be, the final decision could be something as simple as that...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think you'll make a wrong decision with any of these two bodies, good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 pm 
Thanks for the info. It is always harder to decide when you are buying for someone else. Would you suggest the 35mm. 1.8, the 50mm.1.8 or just go with the kit lens? Any other possibilities? Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi papa6, beren23's right - if your grandson is a DSLR beginner and likes special effects, then I'd go for the D5100. If he's more advanced - or is likely to be in the future OR if he's REALLY into professional video, then go for the 600D / T3i.

There may also be brand issues to be aware of - he might just prefer one over the other. Maybe someone could ask him to say which brand / company he prefers...

But this is real nit-picking. Both cameras are excellent and anyone would be happy with them.

I'd always start with the kit zoom, but if you supplement it with a 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 for low light / portraits, he'll be very happy!

PS - if you're buying online, please shop via the links on the support us page - that's what funds this site and the reviews!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:47 pm 
Thanks Gordon,

As much as I depend on your website for information regarding photography, I would definitely order it through your web. I count on your columns for counltess items of advice. Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks papa6, much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 pm 

Grrrrrreat review, Gordon! And congratz on your 9000th post, too.
I esp. like the link of your images to the large originals on flickr. That is heaven for pixel-peepers like me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Thomas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just finished a new 20 minute video comparing the Nikon D5100 against the Canon 600D / T3i!

See my Nikon D5100 vs Canon T3i / 600D comparison!

Hope you find it useful! I'll also post this in the Canon section, so please keep any comments here about the Nikon, cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:34 am 
That's a very cool video Gordon! It's great to be able to see both bodies in action, explained and compared at the same time.

And BTW, I'll never get tired of seeing those stunning surroundings you've got at Queensland, beautiful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Beren23!

BTW, QueensLAND is in Australia - I'm in Queenstown, NZ!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next