Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:05 am 

My T2i is coming with the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM lens. In reading reviews on www.the-digital-picture.com they said that this lens is for 1.6 crop factor bodies only. Would that mean that they have taken the crop factor into consideration? I was figuring since this is a 18-125mm, with the crop factor it would be 28-200mm. I got to thinking about it what if they took the crop factor into consideration and I'm actually getting a 18-125mm.

I've been trying not to think too much about crop factor but this is a kit lens and I plan on in the future to get nicer lenses and this one was going to be to help me decide what sizes to get. I know this sounds odd. Basically, if this is a true 18mm lens then I know if I go get another 18mm lens I'll have the same field of view. But if they have adjusted for the crop factor then I go get another 18mm lens I won't have the same field of view. Sorry I know I ramble :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 am 

for all lenses that exist numbers written on them are the real focal lenght. if you have sensor with crop factor you multiply.

for this particular lens, designed for cropped cameras means that it's "hole" for light is big enough to light the aps-c sensor, so if you mount it on full frame sensor you would get a black circle around the edges where light didn't get to...

cheers

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:03 am 

The focal length stays the same no matter how small or big a sensor you put the lens in front of. What changes is the field of view. To be able to relate the field of view of different lenses on differently sized sensor we use the 35mm equivalent focal length, i.e. the focal length you would need to get the same coverage on full frame or 35mm film

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:13 pm 

ok, thanks guys!