Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 pm 
Hi.

I am new to macro photography and I have a read dozens of threads and articles about it.

I came upon this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/...ms/readfl ... e=38183928

I have a 550D body and an 18-135 IS kit lens. I can not buy a dedicated macro lens right now so I want to maximize the use of my 18-135 IS kit lens.

Which is the best option:
1--use macro close up lenses/diopters?
which ones? what brand? what "+"?

2--use extension tubes? like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/...acro-Canon-exten ... 0476832818

3--use reversing ring?

4--use Raynox?

I would first start doing inanimate objects e.g. coins, jewels, bolts etc. then flowers, then eventually move on to caterpillars, spiders maybe and of course those flying insects e.g. flies, dragonflies, bugs, bees.

Again I would like to maximize the use of my 18-135 kit lens.

Should I also use a ring flash?
or just an ordinary hot shoe flash?

Any advise?

-AFL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:26 am 
out of my experience cheep close up filters are garbage as might as well use your lens at 135mm and do some cropping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:01 am 

Close up lenses do vary by how much you pay for them. Raynox are an example of high end ones. Cheap ones are simple single elements which will introduce chromatic aberration. Expensive ones like Raynox or the Canon 250D/500D (not to be confused with the camera model of same name) are multi-element and correct for chromatic aberrations.

Extension tubes. There's no optical elements so they don't directly degrade the image, although you can find the lens behaving differently as you are pushing it out of its normal working range when you do so. If you get a set pick one that has electrical contacts as otherwise you can't control aperture.

If you want to get an idea for how much magnification is possible with either or both of the above cases, you can try a calculator like this one.

Reversing ring - certainly an option but not one I really played about with much.

I've tried using a ring flash, but I find it a bit harsh. A hot shoe flash with diffuser gives a better look to me.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.