Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:16 am 
Hi,

I hope I am in the right section.

I was wondering, what is the most secure online place to store family photos, that I can share with friends?

I have many photos of my family and friends, that I would like just Family and friends being able to view.

I hear stories that on photobucket, people have managed to access all private folders.

Next to me actually buying webspace, and creating a website, I am not sure what you all think?

I would like to be able to give guests passwords to view folders.

Regards :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:47 am 

I don't know how secure it is, but Picasa allows you to set access rights to albums. You have to give the link to each private album, which don't show up in the main listing. So might be worth a look.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:26 am 
popo,

I will try looking into picasa.

Which one do you use?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:59 am 

an FTP (Linux) server through godaddy.com ?

well that's what I use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:49 pm 

i would also go for picasa, because i use it.

you can set album to wiew only for those who has link to it, and you can send that link directly from that album.

To be honest, i dont know about anything better than picasa (picasaweb and picasa application)

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:19 pm 
Hi ritchievalens,

Unfortunately "secure" is a relative term. Seeing a picture on a monitor means that a local copy exists on the PC, no matter how you swing it.

Nothing can stop anyone from using a screen-scraper to save an image they can see.

But, there are some precautions one can take. For example: don't store full-size images anywhere - just versions large enough to fill the monitors of your legitimate viewers. a 24" wide is 1920X1200 - a mere 2+ Megapixels.
If you want certain people to be able to download full-size versions of your image, you can use file-hosting services without indexing such as rapidshare - but you will then not have everything (ability to view and download) in one place.

When I went through the same considerations as you and looked at all the options, I found that the best combination for me was smugmug. There is an annual fee, but it has great galleries, very fast, unlimited storage and adequate flexibility and gives you your own personal URL and you decide if you are "searchable" .

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:03 pm 
Hi people,

Thanks for the really useful advice, from everybody, but for financial reasons, I decided to go for the Picasa,which is free and is as sweet as a nut.

As soon as pics are uploaded from the Desktop, you get a long direct URL which you can email people, and never changes, unless you change it, as it gives you that option.

Before I was uploading, a single PDF file and then emailing friends.

This is so much easier.

Thanks again..

Ritchie