Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:34 pm 
Hi guys and gals, how ya'll doing?
Im looking for a new portrait lens for my SLT-55, I currently have the standard kit lens and the Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro. I like using the tamron for portraits but its a bit big to just carry about with me all the time. Im looking for something thats smaller and I can be a bit closer to the model/subject and still get a good blurred background.
I have done some research and Im learning about fixed focal length lenses etc but because theres so many and ranging from cheap to expensive lenses, its a bit daunting! I was looking at these lenses:
Sony 50mm f1.8 SAM Portrait Lens £150
Sony DT 35mm f1.8 SAM Lens £157
Sony 50mm f/1.4 A Standard Lens £310
Sigma 30mm, f1.4 DC HSM (Sony A / Konica/Minolta AF) £410
I was wondering if anyone could help me pick out some lenses and hopefully get one soon. :)

My budget is from £100 to £450.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 pm 

I think you will get best results with a 50mm 1.4 Granted they are way more expensive but they hold their value and you won't have to upgrade in the future.
Also look at the Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX, it's about at par with the Sony in price and performance.

* if you go with the Sigma make sure it's A55 compatible as the older models aren't, but Sigma will fix for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:28 pm 
Hey thanks for the advice. I had a quick look today in some shops and found the Sony 50mm 1.4 for £270. Didnt get to test it as all the display cameras had no battery left, did try it on the camera to see how it looked and felt. Seriously considering getting it tomorrow. Think Ill take my camera with me and try it out first :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 am 
The 1.4 isn't that great at F1.4. The 50mm F1.8 is much cheaper than the F1.4 lens, and it's just as sharp from F1.8 and up. There is also 85mm F2.8 that is very sharp right from F2.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 am 
Thanks OneGuy. Is the 50mm 1.8 a lense that can be used on a full frame body, or just a cropped frame lense?

I've had a look online of images from the 50mm 1.4 and the results are fantastic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:01 am 
The 50/1.8 can be used on a FF but then the camera will crop the image to like... 12mp.

I believe that the 85/2.8 might be a little long for portraits on an APS-C. I'd go for the Sigma 50/1.4 since the bokeh on that one is extremely good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:03 am 
just APSC, but it's 1/2 the cost and is just as good

from photozone reviews

F1..8 even scores better is some categories like CA