Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:41 pm 
When you head out into the great outdoors do you go to have a great walk/climb and take some great photos. Or do you go to take some great photos and have a great walk/climb?

In a perfect world, the outcome would be absolutely identical, but in reality the difference between the two choices is whether, when required, you would sacrifice something physical or photographical.

For example, I would go out for a great walk/climb and to take great photos. I still want to be able to take fantastic photos and really capture the beauty of nature, but photography would be the thing to get sactificed if needs be. This generally manifests itself as mainly shooting handheld rather than using a tripod so I don't slow the group up too much or generally taking photos during the day rather than morning/evening as this is when the group will most likely want to walk.

Neither approach is better/worse than the other, but I am just intruigued as to who does what.

Bit of a random post, but why not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:59 pm 

I enjoyed being in nature a long time before I took up photography... good pics are a bonus but I do work hard at getting them.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Last edited by Wolfsong on Tue May 10, 2011 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 am 

^^ I think you can say that again and considerring how many bodies and lenses you have lost, you work harder than most :D

Pre kids I did a lot of day and overnight walks, I always took a SLR on day walks, but not on overnight walks. Too big and heavy, then I take the P&S.

I always take a camera with me, I would feel like something is missing if I didn`t. At the moment I go to places to take photos and it just happens to require walking or 4wdriving to get there. But when the kids get older I can see myself getting back into more and longer walks again. It must be true, I am just getting my leatherboots resoled.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:14 am 

I've always been a hiker first and happy now to have my DSLR to accompany me. I just wasn't getting the results from my P&S that I know with practice I can get from a DSLR. I mean really, my username is hikingmike, what else is there to know. It used to be me and my Keen boots, now my Keen boots will be fighting for my love from the camera...sorry Keen :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 am 

My best mate got me into bushwalking and photography, he has always had a huge interest in taking shots of aircraft and has been to way too many airshows.
Both being shiftworkers and getting plenty of time off we would go off and explore National Parks around the area. Once a year we would go away for three weeks with the 4wd and tent and do day and overnight walks in New South Wales and Southern Queensland. We have had plans to do Simpson desert and other 4wheeldrive trips, but he has required some major surgery to his neck. The vertebrae were deteriating and he has had a metal cage put in. Since then he cannot carry packs or take part in anything that might jolt or jar his neck and this has effectively ruled out the Simpson desert trips or any 4wdrive trips.
I have been a bit lazy getting off my bum to get back into it, but I love exploring the outdoors. I plan to get a caravan next year so that I can drag the family around Australia to see as much of the great outdoors.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 am 
I'm a bad kind of landscape photographer, for a couple of reasons:
1) I can't - for the life of me - create one single landscape picture I am truly satisfied with. Satisfied, defined as being an image that is adequately able to recreate the feeling I may experience when I am in it/see it
2) I feel that way not only about my own feeble landscape attempts, but also feel it about other photographers' attempts. I know this may be heresy here - and even more so in this particular thread, but I wouldn't even put an Ansel Adams on my wall, that's how bad I have it..lol.

Still, I try. I dutifully bring my camera with me on walks in both old and new places, in the hope that one day I will get "the one" landscape/nature image that I want on a wall. But alas, it still eludes me.

So, I suppose I'm just one of those weirdo who simply do not care very much for landscape photography at all..lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject: second kind
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:53 pm 

My purpose is the photography, the hike/walk is a bonus. Once I set out to a border state park for some new landscapes. After an hour hike with tripod in tow, I came across this waterfall. Being almost noon, I had to break out my ND grads and polarizer to get the result I wanted.

Silverbrook Falls by jimmy_racoon, on Flickr

Canon 5D2 | BG-E6 Battery Grip | Canon XSi/450D | BG-E5 Battery Grip | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS | Manfrotto 055XPROB | Manfrotto 488RC2

Flickr <--Comments/Favorites welcomed