Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kites anyone?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:38 pm 

There was a kite event at the park so checked it out. Wasn't too busy possibly due to the weather putting people off. It rained early morning, but it was dry after that.

A display started not long after I got there. Could easily get a position by the barrier. The first spot I picked wasn't great, as I found I was looking into the sun. I moved around the other side which helped, but still the sky was too bright to look at directly. I found it a lot more comfortable after the light loss of a camera viewfinder!

The display looked great, kinda like an airshow, but obviously a lot smaller. Photographing it wasn't fun. As mentioned, the sky was very bright, so it took at lot of compensation to get the kite as anything other than a silhouette. As I was picking individual kites for detail before, I had the 70-300 which quickly became apparent was a bad choice for a display. Out came the 15-85, which gave a much more usable field of view. I could have used even wider at times. The above two photos are two from the display. I might upload some static ones later.

I wonder if there was a way to make the photos more interesting. Like adding foreground/background interest? Or even motion blur? Perhaps it would have been better just to take a video.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.