Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 pm 

I've been wanting to try shots of backlit objects for a while now and got the chance today. Any comments? Also, any advice on how to avoid CA would be appreciated. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:11 pm 

Back lighting can be a lot of fun and adds a new perspective. I didn't notice any CA on the photo you posted, but you're right, CA can be a serious issue with backlit subjects. Do you have another example where it shows up? If it's too much of a problem I think both Lightroom and CS3 have some tools to deal with it. I remember downloading a CS2 action a while ago that helped deal with it, but I can't think of the name of it right now.

Backlit would be a fun theme for the monthly assignment. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:15 pm 
The CA isn't very obvious, but it's there if you view at a larger size. Lightroom's tools didn't seem to help, probably due to my lack of expertise. I'll have a go with CS2 sometime soon.

Backlighting would be an interesting theme!

Last edited by grahamnp on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:35 pm 
That is a nice picture sir, would love to see more of them or other backlight stuff from you.

Tried that myself, but the pictures revealed that i have to much dust on my flowers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:34 pm 

Lovely!
Reminds me of one of my shots and that I should look after more opportunities to capture those...
B.t.w.: I don't think you have a CA prob here. And no, apart from postprocessing, there's no way to get rid of CA (other than buying a CA-free lens...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Nice shot!

As for CA, you can tell photoshop to selectively reduce the colour saturation of those pesky purples. It can work quite well - unless of course you have a similar purple eslewhere in the shot in which case you'll need to use selections...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:25 pm 
In the case where there are purples in the image that you want to keep (as Gordon explained) you can use masks

It's really easy and cool to work with masks in photoshop.

With a mask you can add a layer above your original layer, then totally distort the copied layer. Remove a color (example remove purple) or whatever you would like to do, and then use the brush to paint in the mask to make the parts of the original image to come forward (or vise versa depending on how you order your layers).

Here is an example where i made a duplicate of the original layer and removed all blue color. Then i placed a mask on that layer and painted on the mask to make the original image to come forward.

Here is what it looks like in PS:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 am 
Thanks everyone. I'll be trying that method next time.