Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: A great place......
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 am 
.... this is a huge coincidence BUT my girlfriend and I are currently travelling round the world and due to the fact that someone stole our Panasonic FZ28 in Argentina, I am now looking around for a suitable replacement. I have read a few reviews RE the replacement and stumbled upon Camera Labs (sorry for not being friends before, lets hope this is a long and mutually beneficial one!) I noticed most of the test shots are in Queenstown, we have literally just left for Wanaka and the Beautiful west coast.

So being nosy I did a little scratching around and now realise the editor Gordon is an English ex pat who has joined the seemingly endless amount of Brits in New Zealand (trust me I understand why!...... and yes I will get to the point very soon)

I am looking to replace my FZ28 for a new bridge, I have read the review for the new Panasonic, the FZ35/38 and the Canon IS20 but cannot make the decision on which one buy as the reviews pitches them very closely. The arguments for buying the Panasonic are simple - Great camera which produces some fine imagery for the price, plus I am comfortable with the operation,blah, blah, blah..... According to the review the Canon appears to be better in the areas I felt the Panasonic failed, such as the so called HD video, Optical Zoom Speed and Auto Focus.

I would be grateful for personal opinions in this matter, it is really killing us both to miss out on all the wonderful photo ops. Also if there are any NZ based persons who are happy for us to get our replacement dispatched to their address for us to pick up in person/ or offer an alternative solution for delivery we would be extremely grateful.

I wish I had read this thread before we got to QT as the suggestions on what to do in QT and the surrounding areas would have been very useful. I guess I will have to comeback again someday ;-)..... next time I will have something better than a Sony Erricsson mobile phone to take pictures with!

Kind Regards

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi Paul, welcome on-board and we look forward to seeing you (and your photos) here more often when you return from your trip!

In the meantime, to avoid taking this thread too far off-topic, I've compared the two cameras in detail in the verdict pages of each review. There's pros and cons to both, so go for the one which has the features which are most useful to you - or if you can't decide, simply go for the cheapest!

Have fun on the rest of your trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:37 pm 
Have to say if there is a more beautiful place in this world - I have yet to find it. Absolutely LOVED Queenstown. We were in town little more than 24 hours and it was a few years ago now. We have to get back there real soon.

I had to laugh at Gordons comments about shivering on the balcony at the Skyline - My wife and I used the hand dryers in the rest rooms to dry out and warm up.

The Kiwi Haka (if it is still there) was a real treat and created some interesting photographic challenges as no flash photography is allowed during the performance. Great show though. Mini golf at the bottom of the STEEP gondola was fantastic too.

We had more fun in 1 day than in the 3 years since it is safe to say. What a remarkable place.

Here is a link to some of my pics from 1 day in Queenstown. http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/famil ... jetboating

Next time We are in town we will gladly buy you a beer Gordon - some fantastic work with all those review online!!

Post subject: Now in Queenstown
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:24 pm 
Amazing city, and for last two weeks I did the Routeburn and Milford tracks.
But unfortunatally now my Canon G9 broke down (water got inside).
So Now I'm looking for canon 500D here in NZ for good price. any recomendations where to buy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:40 pm 
Would love to go to New Zeeland. Not only because it looks absolutely stunning but also as anyone who has a globe can verify, It is THE furthest away from home I, living in sweden, can possibly get and still keep my feet dry and staying on this planet :)
Of course that carries the downside of being a very expensive trip. What are the general living costs in NZ compared to Europe? Guessing about the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:25 pm 

I really want to go a time to Queenstown.
But, Im too young to go, and I dont have the money though.
a pity.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:44 am 
Hi,
Very eager to visit QT.
When is the best time to visit QT, how many days will be good enough to cover QT locations comfortably (basic objective will be landscape and wildlife)?
If coming alone what would be best suggestion of visiting photographic locations and timings?

Cheers
Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:51 am 

Hi Aaron

Bring your flash, there's plenty of wildlife downtown from 1am on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:58 am 

:lol: Just finalising a few details then I will be amongst the "wildlife". Nothing looks better than Fergburger at 3am. Heading over to Queenstown next week for some snowboarding! (and taking photos of course)...

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 pm 
I am so glad that I stumbled upon this site. I am a wedding photographer in the United States. I will be visiting Queenstown in September to shoot a wedding. I was scouring the internet looking for great areas to photograph while I was there. I joined this forum in hopes that you could give me some pointers and suggest some of the best places! Your photography work is amazing, by the way!

Thanks in advance!

-April
wedding photography

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi April, welcome on-board! There are lots of great locations around Queenstown. One wedding photographer here even hires a helicopter to do shots on top of the surrounding mountains! Check out the work of:

http://www.milesholden.com/ and in particular the heli stuff in Weddings. I don't envy wearing the bride's shoes on those perilous rocky outcrops though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:31 pm 

Gordon, I've stumbled upon this thread. Man, what a wonderful written exposition of NZ. I'd definitely love to go there once. As a "fanboy" of The Lord of The Rings, may I ask if you've ever been to any of the sites where the movie was shot? If so, do you have any pictures? Please, share! Also, could you tell me how far out it is from your town? Thanks!

http://web.me.com/angelmleon/www.beginnerspic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 am 

Our newspaper yesterday produced a chart with Queenstown being the 2nd most visited South Pacific destination.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:11 am 
Despite living in Australia and travelling OS regularly we've never been to NZ. Finally booked a fly/drive to visit the South Island in January - can't wait. Am expecting amazing photographic opportunities around every corner - just hope I'm practised enough to make the most of them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:22 am 

Hi Cameralabs

we moved to central otago in 2011 and love the region. I have just grabbed a new DSLR as the photo opportunities are endless..

our first visit to Queenstown in the winter of 2010 was stunning and i have been snapping photos here ever since.

i have just joined the forum and look forward to sharing some of my shots here, amatuer of course..

rob.

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next