Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: complete novice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 am 
Just bought my first dslr - sooo excited! Have been reading the reviews and watching Gordon's video tutorials which are great and easy for a novice to understand. Have what maybe a stupid question but guess I could have lots over the coming weeks. In the image section of the review what does e.g. 3.29MB mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 am 

It could be talking about the image size and how much memory they take up, but it really depends on the context. :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:42 am 
3.29 megabytes

That is the file size of the given image. 1024MB are equal to 1GB or Gigabyte.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 am 
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:56 am 

Indeed. As a novice (and I mean that with the best intentions), you will most likely be shooting in the jpeg/jpg format. It's pretty much the default image format on the internet.

Those images are generally around 3-4 megabytes each, so if you get a 4 gigabyte card, you can fit about 1000 images on it.

When you start shooting raw files, those are around 10-12 megabytes. You'd probbaly want a bigger card for that (an 8 gigabyte card would fit around 700).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:33 pm 
No offence taken Citruspers - very useful info. Will leave it on jpeg until I come back from hols otherwise I'll be going through cards at an amazing rate. Was thinking of changing it to raw+jpeg but won't now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 am 

@Aus, It's not only the memory card you should consider but the number of shots the battery will shoot at a quality you want, if you can charge up every night it's not a problem. Personally I shoot at the highest jpeg image the camera will produce.

Cards are cheap so I would shoot as much as possible and see what results you get under different conditions, don't forget camera's are so good now, using auto and program modes still takes good shots. Better to use these modes than miss an opportunity, looking at the exif's later on will give you an idea of base setting for future use if you use App mode. Have fun. 8)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:30 am 
Thanks 4xxxx - we always charge the battery nightly and carry a spare when travelling. I went out yesterday and shot some using auto and p modes and was happy with the results. I know I will use these to shoot quick shots while travelling. Will go out tonight and see what results I get for night shots both auto and M mode. We're heading overseas next month so trying to practice as much as possible but concentrating on the type of shots I know I usually like to take so as not to confuse myself either.