Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:38 pm 

Hey all,

So I just solved a 4 day hair pulling adventure and I'd like to share it as it may come in handy.

So, I've got a hoya UV filter that's always on my lens, never comes off (usualy) - I was taking a photo of a waterfall and was using an ND filter on top of the UV. It was about -7 out. After I got home and packed away my camera, I removed the ND filter to store it away as well. The UV filter came off with it and trust me, I tried everything... putting it in the freezer (to try and replicate the temperature it was put on at), rubber bands... you name it. Then I came across this.

Use a shoe! Seriously, this worked so well, I had to laugh at the simplicity of it. It was almost as if they were never stuck. I used a flat shoe which most wedding photographers would be wearing these all the time. I sandwiched the two stuck filters between the heel of two shoes, and rotated. They came apart effortlessly! I guess this would work if you have a filter stuck on a lens as well. Just thought I'd share.

Trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm 

:lol:

Great tip, although the only time I don't see this working is for something like a ND-grad or a polarizer as those guys spin on their own... I spent most of last summer with my polarizer stuck on my macro lens until the weather cooled down in October and it shrunk back to normal diameter... Bloody thing...

I'm surprised the freezer didn't work for you though!

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 pm 

Haha, good one!
I've had a CPL stuck to a step-up ring - that was a tricky one too!

Post subject: It works!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:54 am 
I had two 82mm filters hopelessly stuck together ever since the day they arrived in the mail from the Russian seller. I read your shoe tip and -voila! it works like a charm. They cam apart so easily I couldn't believe it. Thanks for the handy tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 am 

Glad it worked Raverlaw, and welcome to the forum!