Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Outdoor Flashing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:52 pm 

So, I've done some more experimenting today... I'm not totally experienced with flashes outside sine I've only got my flash at Christmas. I read guide online on outdoor flashing and I tried to put it into practice in my backyard, with semi-productive results.

So, the guide said to go into shutter priority - set the shutter speed to your flash sync speed at your desired ISO (100 in my case). Take a meter and remember the aperture. Then go into manuel and set the shutter to the flash sync speed, and the aperture to the aforementioned aperture. I guess all this messing around was to get the fastest shutter speed available and having 0EV... To get back a DoF while using flash, you'd use a ND filter - easy enough.

This wasn't my problem... as you can see in photo 1, the flash is not there. I couldn't "overpower" the sun. It was at my back and I couldn't see much of a result. The flash was off camera right, so I should have seen a distinct light on the left of my face. I then when into the shadow (photo 2) and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, just looking for some general comments if you guys have had experience with this thing - anything you could ad at all would be appreciated.

photo 1:

photo 2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 am 

Keep in mind that flash light (as any kind of light )diminishes with the square of the distance from the subject. I don't know what gear you have but in sunlight and the distance from the subject in your case, you don't qute have many options. That's why many photographers prefer to shoot outdoors in shadow or before sunset. As you may know, in this kind of setup, ambient light is controlled by the shutter speed and at 1/200 or 1/250 it may not be enough to underexpose the ambient light to bring it at the level of your flash light. Using an ND filter will diminish the flash light by the same amount as the ambient light and you are in the same place only with a wider aperture. This can give you the option of a shallower DOF but won't help you with the balance between ambient and flash. There are solutions though. One is to get closer with the flash and frame accordingly.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am 

Yeah, sorry about that... I keep forgetting to post my gear.

Nikon D200
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Sb-600 flash.

I kinda figured it was the time of day - it was a bright sunny day at around 2:00 pm with not a cloud in the sky. About as bright as it can be. Thanks for your comments, they reassured my initial assessment of the situation. I can now see the need for a fast flash sync speed. OR, I could get a really really big ND filter and put over the sun, that'll dim out the ambient :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

Or instead of that 2000 mm ND filter you may buy a big reflector for $20 or so, and use it as your fill light. The bonus is that you see in real time what it does.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:18 am 
Have you tried high speed sync? It works great for darkening the ambient, a must for shooting in bright daylight. The only downside is your flash won't be as powerful with it on so you'll have to keep the flash really close to your subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:20 am 
Have you tried high speed sync? It works great for darkening the ambient, a must for shooting in bright daylight. The only downside is your flash won't be as powerful with it on so you'll have to keep the flash really close to your subject.

Also make sure the flash is eye level or above so you don't "monster light" your subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:30 pm 

High speed sync? You mean I can go faster than 1/250? hmmm.. *reads manuel*