Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:36 pm 

Oh boy, that sounds too bad for the Nikon lens :cry:
B.t.w.: Is your Sigma hunting in AF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 pm 
Both lenses I have used, the borrowed one and the one I purchased have performed flawlessly, still it is early days yet, my observations are from over the last 4 weeks. The only criticism I have is one you noted on the front lens cap, and that was easily remedied by fitting a Nikon cap with a centre squeeze section, very cheap and readily obtainable. The rear lens cap sits in the draw a Nikon cap replaced that from day one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:52 pm 

Now I'll try a second copy.
After I've seen Zorro's pics I had to try again.
Hopefully this time it has no gross decentering defect... :?

I've compared it to a Tamron 11-18mm a Tokina 12-24mm and a Sigma 12-24mm in this thread.
The results are much better this time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:56 pm 
Hi Thomas, I recently bought the Sigma 10-20mm and I'm still experimenting with it. The plan is to go and shoot some landscapes later and a waterfall with the new lens. I've been reading loads about it and some people say that with the 10-20mm, shooting at f8 can give you a great depth of field for landscape shots, whereas I was planning on probably using f11 / f14.....have you found this?

Can you give me any other advice on shooting landscapes with an extreme wide angle? Do you think it's better to not go so wide and go for around 12/14mm? Seems a bit of a waste having a 10mm, if it's not so great for getting those really wide landscapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:01 pm 

10mm is absolutely the very best you can get to shoot wide landscapes.
but if you're not really interested in the foreground (i.e. closer than 1m) you can easily use f5.6 to shoot pin-sharp landscapes (if you have the luck to get a good copy, that is)!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:18 pm 
Hi
Can anyone recommend out of these three lenses is the best! As i am a landscape photographer i was thinking of getting one. I wonder Gordon if you review any thrid-party lenses? If you are planning to that would be great! I am planning to get one for my Eos 450d once it has come out and i have got it!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 pm 

Well podgeorge. I'm not sure which "three" lenses you're referring to, but you can find all I know about wide-angle lenses here.
If the lens you were looking after, is not in this collection, just give me a hint.

Last edited by Thomas on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:07 pm 
Podgeorge,

The 10-20 is good for landscapes, interiors and usually is found stuck to my D200 for most part of the time. You see a shot I took in Monaco with the lens here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2852

I did consider the more expensive options of the 12-24 by Nikon or Tokina, but settled for this. The extra 2mm makes a difference and the cost as well. I don't see myself moving onto a full-frame for the next few years, so the 10-20 was a no-brainer. Only 2 complaints with it though - if you're using ND grads for landscapes, you can't employ stacking with this as it vignettes. I purchased a wide-angle holder made by Cokin just for using my grads. And secondly the lens cap is horrible - you can't remove it with the hood on, so I had to buy a pinch cap made by Nikon to replace it. Otherwise tremendous value, especially if you solely take landscapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:59 pm 

Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that I transfered the discussion about ND-grads and polarizer to the landscape section here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3314 as it does not necessarily depends on using a Sigma 10-20mm.
So more visitors of the forum will find value in that discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:47 am 
.......moved to ...

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15