Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: S9600 Flash Gun
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:13 pm 
Hi Gordon and team,

Great site.

I have an S9600 / S9100, I am considering getting a flash gun but I'm not sure what to get.

I have been advised elsewhere that the Vivitar 283 is the tool for the job but I don't think they are made any more.

Any advise?

Cheers,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:50 pm 

As a thrid-party supplier Metz earned a reputation (also with me).
They have a wide selection of good quality flashlights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:01 pm 
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the Metz UK web site but their compatibility chart doesn't show the S9600.

I think I need a non-TTL unit, something like the Metz mecablitz 36 C-2, anyone know if that is right?

Cheers,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:27 pm 

Every normal "blitz" will do, because they control the lighting for themselves. Just make sure you can set your camera up for using an external flash or the cam switches automatically to it when you put on the flash. BUT:
If the S9600 has more than one central contact in the accessory shoe on top, chances are that the Fuji can control the flash TTL (consult your manual). Then you should definitely look after a compatible flash, because a TTL-flash has much better control over exposure!

.............30 seconds later............
As I looked it up on the german Metz site they say:
This camera (S9600) is equipped with an accessory shoe with centre contact for the connection of an external flash unit providing auto flash mode
And they go on to sugest the following flashes for your camera:
mecablitz 20 C-2, 76 MZ-5 digital, 45 CL-4 digital, 54 MZ-4/i, 44 MZ-2

So it seems you cannot use TTL-flash for your cam, just have to use standard automatic flash-mode. And as I said: This can be done by every flash...

Remember though to buy a strong flash, otherwise it will be only a weak update to your onboard flash. especially helpfull are flashes that can be zoomed like your lens. Because this can increase the reach of a flash considerably :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:44 am 
Thanks again Thomas,

I found a link to the German site, it has much better information.
Do you think a guide number of 36 is enough? I think the onboard is only 6.

Some of the quoted units cost more than the camera did and I don't think I have enough ability yet to make use of all their features.

Cheers,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 am 
Try your best )
astigmatism