Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 am 
hi,
i'd like to change my old tripod slik with a new one. I have difficulty in the choice because i want it the most solid possible, but with a light weight because i like trekking. i've a 5D and the heaviest len i have so far is the 100-400. As brand and models i was thinking on Manfrotto 055 cx3 or Gitzo GT1830 that in Italy where i live they cost about 300€ that is in my budget , but i'm open to other models of these brands (the max i can spend is 350€).
Is nobody out there so kind to help me in this choice?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 pm 
I like the Manfrotto 055 series, although if light weight is what you want look into the 190 series as I believe they are basically the same but lighter. Gordon reviewed these somewhere on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:24 pm 
thank, but i see the 190 serie as a second tripod because it's short (1.2m) and it weight still 1.8 kg. If it is possible i'd like to find a tripod that is good for trekking but height enough for portrait too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:48 pm 
1.5m with its column extended, but fair point. Ive got a 055 and love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:33 am 
Site Admin

If you want the height of the 055, but with light weight, then go for the carbon fibre version - I have the 055CXPRO3 and it's large and extremely sturdy but surprisingly light. I carry it over my shoulder around town when testing cameras and it's fine...

For trekking, I use a Gitzo 1541T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:18 pm 
thank you Gordon Laing
why don't you use the 055CXPRO3 for trekking...for the weight or for the size? (if it is possible i'd like to have only one tripod)

Have you ever tried the Gitzo GT2830: from datasheet it seems ligther than 055cx3 but i have no idea regarding stability

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:31 am 
Site Admin

I don't take the 055CXPRO3 trekking simple because it's massive!

It is extremely light, but the size is too big for me personally to go hiking with it. Fine for wandering around town though. It all depends on your personal preference really, but even folded down, it's pretty big.