Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:31 am 

I spotted this guy going the other direction, so turned around because I had to get a shot of it. Snapped these with my iphone... When I caught up to him he was pulled off in a parking lot adjusting the straps (first shot). I was then pulled into a parking lot a minute later and he drove by (second shot). I got lucky I guess. But I had to go back, nobody would have believed this story :)

…The car might not have a towing capacity - but it doesn't say anything about loading up the roof :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:59 am 

I agree - it's very handy to have a camera handy. I was filling up at a gas station in early March and saw something strange in front of me, so I snapped off a few shots through the windscreen. Luckliy I had my D90 and 24-70 attached on the passenger seat!

Basically a baboon was being smuggled from Yemen by an Emirati living in Abu Dhabi (you could tell by his plates) and being sold on to some young guys from Sharjah (again, you could tell by the plates) to sell on illegally. The story ran in the press with a heavily cropped image to show just the baboon in the back of the car and now show any faces or plates.

The story and my ID were changed slightly as if you are an ex-pat in this country then you are liable to all sorts of strange laws if making a statement to the local authorities - I'd rather have the national newspaper do it on my behalf than make a statement, have to surrender my passport until the case came up in the courts, and have my identity known!

Anyway, here's the article:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/envir ... y-1.774088