Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax K10D
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 pm 
Greetings All,
I'm a first time poster, and was looking for some advice on my foray into purchasing my first DSLR. Have been to many sites, read numersous reviews, and think i have settled on the Pentax K10D as opposed to the Nikon D80 or Cannon 40D mainly due to budgetary reasons. One of the downsides that I have seen mentioned, more than once, is the Pentax's out of the box default settings leave a little to be desired. I do have some experience with my old AE1 working with F-stops etc. But also want a camera that won't be frustrating to use. Most of my subject matter will be Cityscapes at the start, for a project that I am working on. Anyone out there with the Pentax that can set me straight on their experience?
Cheers
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:07 pm 

Hi mikez,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

I hope you don't mind but I've moved this thread into the Pentax forum. Though you are buying a new camera from what I understand you have settled on Pentax and you are specifically asking for feedback from Pentax owners so you should get the best feedback and advice here.

Pentax owners, it's over to you now...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:37 pm 

Bonjour Mikez,

Welcome to this forum and welcome to the Pentax world :!:

Actually, I'm a very happy owner of a K10D :) . Gordon's review was key on my choice and purchase. The video tour was especially usefull.

I wrote my own user review available :arrow: here. I tested also the battery grip and the splendid Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8 ED (IF) SDM lens.

Feel free to raise your questions :!:

Best regards,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 pm 
Hello.

I hope you don't mind I continue with this post, I am also considering buying a DSLR and can not decide between K10D and Nikon D80. This is what I wrote on another post in this forum:

"I know that these days many manufacturers are presenting new models (EOS 450D, Pentax K200 & K20) so I don't know if it is worthy waiting for all those models to be on stores and to know real prices (so maybe prices are going down on older ones even more) or not.

Almost everybody recommends Nikon above Pentax but I am pretty sure that an important point on their decisions is based on the big name NIKON, it is a sure bet buying a camera from Nikon and Canon, I know, and it is hard to reject a camera with so much quality and from the huge Nikon brand!

On the other hand Pentax is offering almost the same image quality with a lot more features, in fact, if I am not wrong both D80 and K10D use the same Sony sensor (at least that is what I have read), and besides that it costs around 200€ less than Nikon.

At this point one should consider seriously the Pentax K10D, but what if, for any reason, something goes wrong and image quality is worst?? I will not stop repeating myself: 'Why didn't I trust the big Nikon and everybody's advice??'

Finally one last thing that makes me wonder is the fact that Pentax has no more professional camera than the K10D, at the moment is the best one in its catalogue and that sounds strange, why there are not any other much pro camera??
:)

Thank you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 pm 
And by the way, rei_vilo's K10D review is amazing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 pm 

Bonjour cooldude14es,

You're welcome :)

1- First, I have no link with Pentax except I'm a user of a Pentax K10D camera.

2- After many years with a Canon S10 and a Canon A70, I bought a Pentax *ist DL a couple of years ago. I had three criterias : brand reputation, quality and price. Many years ago, my father owned a Pentax film SLR and was very happy with it. At EUR 750, Pentax offered a full bundle with 2 lenses and an SD card. The Pentax *ist DL was the only dSLR available with standard AA batteries. Competitors were more expensive and provided lenses in the standard kit that weren't so good. Since reviews were good for the *ist DL and it was my first dSLR, I went for it.

3- The Pentax *ist DL suffered from over-processed colours and I was using the manual controls more and more. So the K10D offers the big jump, also with the re-use of the classic Pentax zooms (18-55 and 50-200 mm) I already have, at a very competitive price (EUR 800 at that time). Clearly, I was a captured customer since I wanted to keep my lenses The video tour featured by CameraLabs and starring Gordon eased my choice. So I went back with my first user review, as a way to thanks CameraLabs for its help :) .

4- Since the K10D sensor is very sensitive, the DA 18-55 and 50-200mm lenses weren't at the same quality level :? . So I went for the DA* lenses and decided to share my first pictures, hence more user reviews.

5- If you're considering a purchase, you were right waiting for the end of January. Pentax has announced new cameras, K20D and K200D. You could then opt for one of the new generation (but wait for reviews first :!: ) or purchase one of the previous generation, in that case with big price drops. Personally, I wouldn't update my K10D, I rather prefer to go for a new lens.

6- I'm really surprised by the number of views of my review, 16,045 and counting. I know Pentax is very often forgotten by reviewers: the last David Pogue's video about dSLR features Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony, but nothing about Pentax. I think Pentax is worth considering.

7- Purchasing a dSLR is clearly selecting a system with many accessories and dollars to spend :wink: Having a clear idea of the use of the dSLR and thinking twice about the system are recommended steps before ordering.

8- As a happy owner of a K10D, I could only talk about the camera I have, including its defaults (like :arrow: Twisted Pictures On K10D?). I don't know the D80, but it seems an excellent camera too, with very happy owners. Have a look at CameraLabs K10D review where there's a :arrow: comparison with the D80. However, the :arrow: Camera Labs Buyer's Guide: The best budget digital SLRs mentions the D80 but not the K10D.

9- Have you tried how both cameras fit in your hands :?:

Feel free to ask more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 pm 
Thank you very much.

Yeah, your opinion is important for me since you are just an owner and you don't have any link with Pentax apart from many years of satisfaction.

I will try to check both cameras in person and hold them at the store to see what feeling I get from each of them, hopefully this weekend...

We will keep in contact for sure!!

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:34 am 
Hello!!

So finally I took my decision, after visiting a few stores and holding them, Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D, I got more feeling with Pentax and I proudly bought it!! my pocket also agrees :lol:

I think it has a better value/money, Nikon is amazing but no vibration reduction, no cleaning sensor and not accepting old lenses without AF... that is too much!! :evil:

I think I got a good price for my Pentax K10D: 809€, including 16-45mm lens, bag and SD card. As soon as I have some pictures I will show you... after reading and studying the user manual.

Thanks for your help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:53 am 

Bonjour cooldude14es,

Welcome to the Pentax user club :) and ¡Enhorabuena por tu nueva cámara!

809 EUR is a very good price: you're combining a proven technical choice with a bundle you can start using right now.

There's a learning curve for the K10D. I wait for your feed-back and your first pictures :!:

Best regards,