Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 580 vs 55
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:32 pm 
Gord and/or Others:

I am new here and this may be completely the wrong place to ask this or considered thread-jacking or something like that. If so, my apology in advance.

I am curious on thoughts/comparisons between the 580 and the 55.

I am brand new to the entire DSLR/SLT world and have only ever pointed and shot, with moderate/limited success. Now we have two little kids who don't stop moving, don't do funny things over again and generally don't cooperate with camera work. I have convinced myself that a quicker booting (time to turn on), quicker focusing, quicker continuous shooting camera might increase my chances of some decent photos of the kids.

Due to my newness I want something that will make the transition as easy as possible and result in decent shots with out having to light meter the very first day I get the camera. A decent chance of success on Auto or Auto+ on the 55 is what I would hope for out of the box and then learn from there.

Any commentary/recommendation on the 580 vs the 55 would be very much appreciated.

I know the 580 review is still in the works and you will probably want to reserve comment until then, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi gtm73, welcome on-board. I've split your question out into a new topic as it was equally to do with the two cameras in question!

A lot has to do with video, composition and form factor.

The A580 is a traditional DSLR with some great Live View options and an optical viewfinder, whereas the A55 is Live View only with an electronic viewfinder and screen. Some prefer one over the other - it's very personal.

The A55 is smaller, lighter.

I know the A55 can autofocus while filming video, but I'm not sure about the A580.

If video is important to you, you'd need to verify the AF aspect, but otherwise a lot boils down to your personal preferences on size and composition.

There's much more to discuss though, so I'll let the others chime-in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 pm 
I appreciate the quick response and feedback.

Video is a "nice to have" but not terribly important as we already have a video camera that serves us well. Not to say we will never use the DSLR or SLT to record a video, but it will be a spur of the moment type of thing and if it works great, if not we won't lose any sleep over it.

Fortunately for us, the composition and comfort factor will probably be something we learn with the camera as time goes on since we don't have any preconceived notions or preferences. Hopefully this means in the big picture we probably can't go too wrong with either one.

That said, anyone out there with any thoughts regarding ease of use? I have read another review online that went into great detail about the A33 (and by extension the A55) not having sufficient user control and highlighting the places where control was "grayed out". I have a sneaking suspicion that this would actually be a BONUS for us as we won't get overwhelmed as quickly and a few more automated controls might result in better images...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 am 

Both cameras are easy to use and perform very well in "auto" or "program" mode.
The a55 was last year's camera of the year at popphoto and the a580 has the "latest and greatest" sensor that is also used in the Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5.

The a33 has a very good sensor/features and should be more than adequate for all your needs. All these cameras will be very rewarding and give you ample room to experiment and improve your technique when the time comes.

I would try to get the one with the lowest sticker price myself.