Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 pm 

awesome shots kpr... we got another 4 inches of snow last night... :evil:

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 am 

Well I thought the bully was a doe but...with cropping and sockets for horns I guess I'm thinking differant now....

Rough stuff.... it had to hurt :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 am 

awesome kpr.... wouldn't wanna be on the recieving end...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

Had a fun day shooting deer today... all were just cropped... gotta do some PP to them at some point. I'm guessing the little guy in the back of the first pic had its ear bitten by a coyote when it was younger as it is split almost in half and was flapping in different directions when it ran off. Its also healed well from what I could see so it will be just fine.

I took this pic specifically because of the little guy peeking over the front one's back. I really like how it turned out.

I seen these following guys in a farmer's field and watched them for a bit when I noticed a coyote prowling a few hundred meters away... it didn't take long for the deer to scatter but to my surprise they spaced themselves out as they ran and jumped a fence giving me time between each one to re-focus and get ready for the next one to jump... a good 10 seconds between each one which was perfect for me. I always find it amazing how high they can jump... in the third pic down I'm guessing that deer would have cleared a fence 1.7 to 2 meters high.

The pic below is probably my favorite of the day next to the one above of the two staring through the trees.

The second one has a mark on its side from another deer's hoof. Shows you the damage that can be done when they get into it like shown in kpr's pics previously...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 pm 
great sequence shots... now i'll be counting deers instead of sheep.
where did you shoot these?
great shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:09 am 

About 15 minutes from my house in Saskatoon lowliferider. South of town near the Saskatchewan River.

On another note... went to another place around here today called Beaver Creek. They had just finished plowing the road into it and the snow banks were higher than my car :shock: ... gonna be a while before the snow is gone from here but we are finally supposed to get above freezing later this coming week. This snow needs to go so I can start heading up north to the La Ronge area...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:04 am 

Amazing shots Wolf.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:01 pm 
Saskatchewan is a great province, would love to convince my wife to move there from Quebec.
:D

Great shots and keep on posting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 am 

Another fun deer day yesterday...

Not often you get a deer looking straight at you with its ears perked towards the back...

Or one back and one front.. guess it just couldn't make up its mind...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:54 pm 

A few from today... need the weather to change up here so other creatures start coming out... deer everywhere but not much else. Snow is definately melting though. At least I'm more than covering my deer obligations so when I get side-tracked later this spring with other animals no one will have anything to complain about :twisted:

This guy was definately looking for a fight but no one seemed interested... The unusal crops in this one and the other below are for a runner someone asked for... I'm finding small herds everwhere... I'm hoping they clump up so I can finally get some shots of these herds of deer numbering 200+ animals everyone talks about up here. I have yet to see one.

I have a blind set up in the clump of trees right behind these guys... the treeline in the back acts as a natural barrier and funnels the deer along it. Several of the closeups I took over the past week or so were taken from that blind including the last 2 below.

My favorite of the day...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 am 

Appears the snow is dropping there fast,no doubt why they are hanging out there.
Looks like a great spot for a blind.
Those big herds...if you can find a farm around with some Winter Wheat close by they should start gathering there soon as it will be the first thing thats the greenest.
Usually farms with livestock have a field or two with it driving home from work yesterday one or two fields looked like lawns/fairways that need mowing here.

Right now those deer are eating grass that greens up one blade at a time.
If you watch closely when they are laying down you will see them bring it back up and eat it over and over again.
You'll see a lump move up their throat right from the brisket to their mouth and they will chew once or twice and swallow it again for a while.

Awesome shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm 

Yesterday's outing...

So its funny that we humans always try to put human emotions or asign human terms to wildlife... something I try to avoid if possible. Yesterday though while processing these pics I couldn't help myself.... I need to find something to keep my mind on this project and this was it for today :P

Attitude as in GET OUT OF MY FACE!!!

The shy one...

The comedian...

Brown-noser...

Kiss my ....

Shocked and speachless...

Ummm... the not-so-shy one... no I didnt take this pic on purpose.. its an extreme crop of a pic with 3 deer in it... at least that is my story :shock:

Dozy...

Lonely...

Slob...

Evil eye...

And a series of 4 on love... ticked me off.. had a beautiful day all day except for 3 minutes while this took place and a huge black cloud moved in... Even had a decent light angle.

Was out today and geese are moving in big time even though almost everything is still frozen... should be open soon though. Maybe I can now take a break from deer and focus on geese for a bit.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 pm 

and a few more from yesterday...

Watched a group of 3 deer for about 1.5 hours... this guy got more and more comfortable and finally went to sleep. First time for me to catch a deer sleeping.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 am 

nice work Wolfsong, Lonely almost looks sick.

You would have to pleased with those shots, a bit of humour and emotion in photos is like icing on the cake.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:25 pm 

thanks Max... lonely is actually the same deer as Dozy LOL... It was taken right after it stood up so the fur looks matted and I think it was still half asleep :)

Its actually what I am always looking for.. its easy to get pics of animals staring at you or running away from you.. not so easy getting pics of animals doing natural things. The sleeping Deer in the last set I posted made me very excited... at this point I knew it was totally at easy with me there and went on with his snooze. With deer being as spooky as they are this was a very cool moment for me. Then I felt bad leaving cause I woke him but he didnt get up. The other ones I really liked over the past few days were the 2 sets showing them licking and nosing each other. Again... natural behavior.

My Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next