Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:59 pm 
I've read the review, but still can't choose to buy 60d or 50d

I don't want movie-thing, only look for the best image quality, lower noise,
Better handling, and higher ISO to replace my old 1000D.

Any advise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 am 

When I was using my friend's 50D at a spoken word event he was in, I noticed that the high-ISOs looked terrible... nasty-looking banding was very prevalent at the upper end. If you don't shoot a lot of that stuff that takes place in near-darkness though, the 50D is a solid camera. The 60D does a bit better in the high ISO range but as you say, you don't want the movie mode... I'd argue that having the feature and not using it is probably better than not having the feature and then at some point wanting or needing to use it...

In either case, going to a xxD camera will improve your ergonomics by a large margin and if you prefer a proper joystick and thumb-wheel, the 50D will be better. If you like the 4-way controller of your 1000D then the 60D will be more familiar to you. It's a matter of personal preference when it comes to ergonomics though, as despite coming from a 450D my 7D's joystick and thumb-wheel are waaaay better IMO.

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject: My choice
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:28 am 
Quote:
I've read the review, but still can't choose to buy 60d or 50d

I recently upgraded from 350D. I had the same decision to make. The 60D won. i am very happy with it. I was even considering the 7D, but for my needs, the extra cash wasn't justified. No real life advantages, despite all they say. I'm not shooting sports, etc...

My advice, go and test them both. See how they feel in u're hand...very important. For me, the 60D felt better. I have small hands :)). And it's lighter. I don't realy need the magnesium body, cause i don't plan to smash it against walls. And the tilt screen is very helpfull. As for the video part, it's better to have it...u never know.

As for the optical part, the 60D, in my opinion, and from what the tests show, it's better than the 50D. High ISO performance is better. They all say u need quality glass. Well...with my 50 1.8 and my 70-200 L, i have no problems :D.

Finally, it is you who will decide. Either one it's a great camera, and from my perspective, in real life, the optical differences aren't noticeable. So, again, go and see how they both feel, and consider the other advantages/disadvantages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm 

If I had to choose I'd go for the 60D. The one thing I don't like about it is it's a bit smaller :D

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:33 am 
I just ordered the 60D yesterday and hope to get it by the weekend. I have tossed up several cameras for the past few months. Originally, I was going to get the 550D, but then the 60D came out and I waited to see how it was received. Then the D7000 came out and again the same. I was very close to going for the D7000 as it is an impressive camera, however I decided to go for the 60D for the following issues:

* Articulated screen
* More video options (ie. Framerates etc) on the 60D
* At time of purchase, the D7000 is noticeably more expensive then the 60D and the 60D is already on the edges of what I can justify at the moment
* I have some friends with Canon cameras so the option is there to test out other lenses before purchasing
* The buffer on the D7000 is a big concern for me, I want to be able to use continuous shooting for more than 2 seconds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:07 pm 
Nice purchase Trido, and welcome to cameralabs!

Which lens did you buy with the 60D? If your currently "lensless" may I recommend the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:47 am 
Thanks. :) It arrived an hour ago and I am thrilled. I got the twin lens kit which will keep me satisfied for a little while, however I will be in the market for some new glass soon to fill some niche needs I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:54 am 
thanks for the advices,
Off course I want to test both of 50D and 60D at the same time, but I live (and working) in countryside,at the most outer island north of Indonesia, so I am very much rely on reviews, forums, and comments before buying my gear online.

I plan to buy Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Di VC, but any of you have compared it against Sigma lens with the same range, put on xxD, I am curious to listen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:11 pm 

Had a chance to play with the 60D last week, nicest ergonomics I've experienced to date, and that pivotal LCD is trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 am 
Hey everyone! I upgraded from 450D to 60D yesterday and Im really happy I made up my mind and went ahead with the buy. Thanks gordon for the fantastic review!

Post subject: @ drax0r
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:49 pm 
What other cameras were you considering? I'm on the fence between the nikon d7000 and the 60d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 pm 
I originally wanted a Nikon 5100 for my foray into the world of DSLR, since it was released on my birthday but none was to be found in Australia. I agonised in my decision between the Nikon 5k1, Nikon D7K, Canon 600D and the Canon 60D. After weighing up all of the options, I finally chose the Canon 60D.

Just going to jump in with a 18-55 kit lens with a decent U1 SD card, to learn the ropes before embarking on my tour of Italy and the Somme. I chose the 60D as it felt the best in my hands, the buttons were rather tacky and has the tactile feel of an Apple II mouse circa 1980's. I always have enjoyed Canon products, but was rather let down by their online content for this product.

The point of this post is that I like my manuals and I also like them printed on a man sized pamphlet, so it was disappointing to discover that Canon decided to watermark the online pdf manual. In short I opened the document in Adobe, but tragically my cat jumped on my keyboard and now the 'copy' is now removed from its pages.

For those that are interested in a legible manual of the Canon 60D it can be found at the following link below.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... manual.pdf

Thank you for the excellent work and reviews you have provided Gordon. I've digested a lot in my two weeks into the world of photography.

cheers CB.

Post subject: @ spiritman
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:04 pm 
I actually had the same choices in my mind as you. The d7000 is not much more money to it and its the "semi-pro" build (mag alloy), dual sd slots (one for raw one for jpeg for example) but when I felt the 60D in my hands I got the same semi-pro feeling as a 50D or like the d7000 in this example, the d7000 however felt heavier even though its only about 30gram :). But the rotating screen on the 60D was a big plus for me. I guess that it also fell on the 60D because I have a camerabag with 4 lenses + an external flash that are canon. So getting rid of all that equipment for a nikon that pretty much equals the 60D in image quality wasnt worth it. I dont shoot much sport or wildlife Im just a "hobbyist" who wanted to upgrade a bit. I dont know if this was any good help for you but if you have an empty camerabag, the decision should fall on which one of those two you feel is the most comfortable to hold in your hands because I think that is one of few really important things. Good luck with what you decide =)

Post subject: Just arrived!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:47 pm 
Hiya everyone. I just received my 60D today and I am quite chuffed!!! Problem is I am getting too many recommendations on what sdhc card to use. I am told the latest and the best is a "10 class". I'm off to go shopping for one soon and would very much appreciated input from those in the know. TIA. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:34 am 

Do you want to use the continuous shooting mode very often, like the video mode? Then you need a fast card, otherwise a good class 6 is enough.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next