Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pet red eye
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:32 am 
Hello,
Some time ago, I took some indoor pictures of my dog (a corgi). The sun was behind me, and sometimes I had to use the flash, which led to something that I shall call red eye in pets. Because of the anatomic different build of a human eye against a dog's or cat's eye (those pets have a light-reflecting coating at the back in the eye, which enables them to see fairly good in little light), the 'red eye in pets' isn't red, but rather silverly, like this:

Because of this, no 'automatic red eye remover' will work (I've tried different programs). Then, I've tried to change them manually (but I'm no PhotoShop-expert), by selecting them and tried to change the levels, or tried to invert the colors etc., but none of them gave me the result I wanted. I even one time tried to paint them by hand, which gave the best result so far, but you can't look to close:

So, has anyone got tips on how to remove these silvery eyes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:13 am 

Hello quintendejonge, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Nice doggy you have there, but unfortunately I also found only painting those eyes as a solution. Tried CaptureNX and Lightroom :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:35 am 

Hi quintendejonge,

If you want a quick and easy approach (which may not be as good as painting by hand) then select the pupils, desaturate 100%
and then adjust brightness and contrast to achieve black pupils which still retain some specular highlights thus:
    Before

After
Image processed using the freeware program GIMP.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:59 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
If you want a quick and easy approach (which may not be as good as painting by hand) then select the pupils, desaturate 100%
and then adjust brightness and contrast to achieve black pupils which still retain some specular highlights thus:
    Before

After
Image processed using the freeware program GIMP.

Bob.

Thanks, Bob, I will give it a try as soon as I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 am 

Hope it works for you.

By the way, may I echo Thomas and wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums. Sorry I didn't spot
that you are a new member in my initial reply.

Bob.

P.S. Great to see you up and running with images included in your first post here (pretty dog) but if at all possible for the
future could you restrict images widths below the recommended maximum of 700 pixels. Wide images mess up text formatting
for forum members who don't have the luxury of wide browser windows. Thanks. 8)

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:

P.S. Great to see you up and running with images included in your first post here (pretty dog) but if at all possible for the
future could you restrict images widths below the recommended maximum of 700 pixels. Wide images mess up text formatting
for forum members who don't have the luxury of wide browser windows. Thanks. 8)

I've already altered the sizings of these photo's and I will try to keep it in mind for future posts. Thanks for the welcome by the way.