Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Critique
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 am 
I'm looking toward the Cameralabs community to see if I can get any constructive criticism on this photo. Any criticism you may have will be helpful. My personal concern with the photo is the position the man is in when entering the cab. Anything you may have to add will be great.

(Mods, if this isn't the proper place for this, please move. Wasn't sure exactly where to put it)

Cramped by jasonk_mcdonald, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:27 am 

Since you specifically asked for C&C - I have a few suggestions.

Firstly, I can't find the EXIF but I'd guess the shutter speed is too low because the image is soft, although you may have wanted to create a little motion blur on the passenger as he enters/exits the car.

The WB seems way off (too low?). There's a distinct pink/purple cast to your colours. Did you shoot auto WB or manual? (again, no EXIF). I don't know where this was taken but I've never seen taxis that colour before!

The composition isn't really working. You've cut off the very rear portion of the car which gives it a 'snapshot' look - was this intentionally cropped?

I would say it's a little overexposed too

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 pm 
Boy, I suppose information like that would have helped. I uploaded the post processed photo and not the original. Dumb, I know.

Anyways, here's the original along with the photo information:

DSC_0931 by jasonk_mcdonald, on Flickr

iso 800
35mm
f/4.0 @ 1/40

Also, to answer, I have my WB set to cloudy, which always makes the image a little softer and warmer as that's a personal preference of mine. The PP makes the taxis look that way 8)

And no, it wasn't intentionally crop to cut off the back of the taxi but the photo was taken in very little time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm 

Jason,

Personally I would have had my camera on S mode and a good bit higher than 1/40.

I would have setup to use the 3 frames/sec on your D3100 and then you may have had a better chance of 1 good capture as the guy gets in the taxi.

W/B, I really dont see what it is you are trying to do, shoot RAW.

Lighting doesn't seem to have been a problem, so I doubt whether you would have needed an ISO at 800, ceratainly 400 should have done.

As said previously, the composition is all wrong, but neither do i know what you were trying to acheive or had been asked to do?

HTH

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:56 pm 
Thank you, Alan! That certainly helps a lot. Anything helps for a new photographer like myself. I appreciate it.