Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:33 pm 
As above folks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm 
Chris_Blackler - One reporting-in - see left...

How may we be of assistance?

You're asking about the hordes of Roos, Crocs, Camels, Snakes, Cape Buffalo, etc, infesting Sydney streets?

Can't really help with that - Croydon Park is one of those boring tree-lined "leafy-suburbs" areas in Sydney's Mid-West - with none of those critters strolling about... I did see a "fierce" Red-Back Spider several years back - but he was just having a wander in a rock-garden, so left him to it...

Some more details to your Question, please, mate...?

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm 
Just thought id see as im travelling over there at the end of the year and mite have some questions to ask

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 pm 

I'm from country Victoria 300Km west of Melbourne.

Australia is a BIG country. It takes at least 3 days to drive across it.

I do have a comparison image for the countries but I "pinched" it from the internet so I can't post it here.

Cameras: Canon EOS 450D with Battery Grip | Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10
Lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 pm 
Chris - Henry's right, Oz does have a tendency towards Bigness, and if he averages 3 days driving from Melbourne to Perth, he has a good car, and is quite a keen driver - that's 3,410km by road... So - driving 15 hours a day, that's an 'averaged' 75km/h. Allowing for towns and other built-up areas, that's do-able - but you wouldn't be doing any sight-seeing...

Visitors / Tourists might be better to allow 8-10 days, to get a look at some of the more interesting regions, if doing the Melbourne-Perth trip. If doing Sydney-Perth - that's 3,910km - allow at least another day, preferably two.

Sydney-Melbourne by road nowadays is about 880km. Which is rather shorter than the 960km it used to be when in the 1970s-'80s, for 16 or so years, I did the Sydney-Melbourne-Sydney round-trip 'Milk-Run' 3 times a week by semi-trailer. Since then, the Hume Highway has been routed around some hilly areas, a lot of towns and built-up areas bypassed, so is now an easier drive.

While many regions are more "modernised" now - there are still plenty of places where you can drive all day without seeing another vehicle, or where it's 400-500km between water and fuel stops. Google "Gunbarrel Highway" and have a look at the photos.

Folk from the EU and US sometimes assume that "highway" means a sealed road with water and fuel stops at least every few tens of kms. In Oz - closer to the coast, it can mean that. Inland in the Outback - "highway" often means a dirt road, graded once a year - maybe. And the water/fuel stops can be hundreds of kms apart.

City folk from here - or Tourists - not really understanding what to expect - can still "do a perish" in the outback. That is, their vehicle breaks down, and they die of thirst. When traversing a long "open region", travellers are supposed to "notify intentions", including ETA at destination - at the last Police Post before entering that area. Then, once they're a couple of days overdue - a search can be started.

So, you don't only need water (I've just noticed I'm putting "water" before "fuel" in the comments above - beause that's how you should "think it") - for the planned duration of such trips - you need enough to cover all persons in the party, for a search period. Don't forget the properly formulated salt tablets - you lose a lot of water per day, under those conditions.

Temperatures can be well over 45C in the daytime, and near freezing at night, for long periods. Estimate the amount of water needed per person - then triple it. And add "three days worth" more, in case the party had to sit-out a search period. Take some shade-cloth and cording. Once the engine stops - so does any air-conditioning. Daytimes, you cannot stay inside a parked vehicle.

The Outback is a wonderful, and can be incredibly beautiful, place - and nobody - Oz or Visitor - should miss seeing at least some of it. Picking the right Season for a Deep outback trip is important...

And never forget - the Desert Mother watches all - She has no favourites - and the Foolish and/or Careless - She will take into Her embrace - Forever...

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:00 am 

How long are you going to visit and what are your interests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm 

oldwarbler has a good mention about the country.

During summer time or Christmas period here, well, firstly, we don't have "beautiful snow", and the sun is usually very harsh. It is not just the temperature making people feel uncomfortable, the heat also translates to active insects. Mosquitoes, flies, cockroaches... you name it.

Apple: MacBook Air (11-in, 1.8GHz i7), Mac Pro (12-core 2.66GHz), MacBook Pro (15-in), iMac (21.5-in, Core i5), Mac mini Server (2.66GHz), iMac (24-in, C2D), PowerBook G4 (12-in, 1.33GHz), iMac G4 (1.25GHz)x2, PowerMac G4 (dual 1.44GHz).
iPhone: 5s, 5, 4S, 4, 3G
iPad: Air, Mini, 4, 3, 2, original (all models are 3G/LTE)
iPod touch: 5th gen x2, 4th gen x2 & 1st gen,
4 x AirPort Extreme, 2 x Time Capsule...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:59 pm 

Hi there,
its a big place alright. Certainly some areas are better visited during the right season. Down south in Autumn is usually the most consistent and stable weather, not too hot, but any time in the warmer month is ok. Up north from mid autumn to mid Spring is properly the better time. I personally don`t like the humidity up north during the wet season.

I have been around the place a couple of times, one thing I am going to do from now one is to visit a smaller area and spend more time there, instead of racing around for 2-3 month.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 pm 
Il be over there from the 8th December to 12 Jan this year. I think were sticking more to the coast tbh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:37 pm 

East Coast? Up north in qld you will be able to get nice pics of cyclones, wet season and queenslander`s going troppo. :P

Will certainly be lovely along the coast from Brisbane down that time of year.
Early december will be alright, but xmas and early January will be busy along coast due to schoolholidays. Might be a bit hard getting accommodation or spots in caravan parks.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:03 pm 
We will hopfully be booked in to camp sites before hand and not turn up on the day and expect to get in