Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:51 pm 
Nice shots Neil. I don’t know what Roger was shaking/worried about …. He should know he can outrun you cause you won’t be leaving the camera behind, not with a full SD card :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:12 am 
Here are some bears from Croatia :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomislavma ... 752142903/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:44 pm 

Here is my set of bears that I shot earlier this summer. This is place called Martinselkonen and they arrange hides for pros and bigger groups to see bears. This place is just 20 km away from Russian border and the tour guide said that it is most likely that these bears are from russia. I stood in one "prophotographers" hide with my father for one evening and one night.

These bears are about 2-3 years old and they aren't that big. But when their mother came you could see the difference right away. I'm sure you can spot the mother as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:50 pm 

Photo taken: Big Timber Canyon, Montana, USA.

Here is a black bear. I was a few hundred feet from him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:40 am 

Awesome shots guys!!!

Heres something I found this fall.
A bear scratching post.
Very well used trails leading in from each cardinal point all sorts of differant critters using it now the bears are probably sleeping.

ImageImage

Lots of deer using these trails.
In this pic bottom left,coyotes have been marking their spot on the tree and the ground in the circle...

This a bit further along a Hemlock tree all scratched up..
Not far from it another ripped apart for bugs..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 pm 

awesome shots all... kpr... I saw one of trhose as well this fall in BC... got a pic... unfortunately my computer died and it is in getting serviced right now... will post a pic of the tree when I get it back... should post a few different pics of bears here as well from my trip....

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:56 am 

this thread needed a few new pics ...couple from the fall... just cropped

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 am 

Starting "early" this year....
One of my coolest encounters yet........

Bears still in a den....as always wild bears and no fences :D

Managed to get there right at what must have been feeding time cause the cubs were quite active.
Momma was a bit jittery with them and moving her head around a bit as they were fussing and crawling/moving around.
The coolest thing I saw was her take her chin and arm at the same time and just sweep them both right back under her and boom...back to sleep and no noise no more movement.
Pretty cool 15 mins from first pic to last and felt more like 15 seconds to me.
I don't use my flash often but it got a workout today.

Long haul in and back out of there in soft knee deep snow and alllll up-hill :roll:
The woodstove here at home is workin its magic on me right now.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
:twisted:

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:05 am 

that's an awesome encounter kpr!!! did you more or less trip over the den or did you know it was there?

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:22 am 
Awesome KPR! I hope you had an escape route!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 am 

wolf...some young fellas came across it while rabbit hunting.
In pic #1 behind me there is a small pathway through the woods,they stood atop the deadfall waiting for the hounds to run any rabbits through it and they could hear snoring noises looked under themselves and ...surprise!!
It's not what you would think when called a den but it is very sheltered by spruce and thick woods from the wind and when bears den they have plenty of fat and fur.
A local bear expert tells us that alot of bears den this way and that some parts of the body are exposed to the elements but are fine and snow doesn't even melt off any of the exposed parts.

Kev...at no time was momma stressed or excited.
She was in fact quite groggy and even if she looked in my direction it appeared she was looking right passed us.
I'll attach a pic of Blake trying to get some video/audio.
We wouldn't go any closer than the edge of the root system so if she did look at us or actually see us we could just move a bit and be out of her line of sight with little trouble.
We researched if this would cause problems going back there and were told that for her to become active would take a bit.
She would have to move her limbs and head around a bit to get circulation going and this should be our indication to ...leave.
If she got scared and bolted she probably wouldn't return leaving the cubs orphaned.
Only one of us was in front of her at any time and if you'll notice THAT DARN BRANCH in just about EVERY pic...that was about 3ft in front of me and I so wanted to reach just a bit further and get rid of it but...to me that was too much risk of disturbing her too much.
Even though from where the pics are taken...thats her exit..this decision was not about our safety but the safety of the cubs and momma imo that is ALWAYS FIRST.

The birch tree in front of Blake and behind the upturned root system is about halfway to the bears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 pm 
That’s really cool KPR! It’s amazing how little Bears need to den over the winter, something to think about when you’re climbing over deadfalls lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm 
Very cool Kpr: I doubt that you caused them too much stress, I watched a video once where researchers were crawling right into the dens and bringing the cubs out to weigh them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:27 pm 
I was thinking the same thing K Lantz. There was a segment on the Rick Mercer Report awhile back showing researchers tagging cubs in Algonquin park. The researchers and entire camera crew couldn’t have been more than 25 yards from the den site while filming the segment and made no effort to be quiet. One of the researches walked right up to the den and stuck the sow with a tranquilizer needle mounted on a pole that wasn’t more than 5 feet long while she appeared to be watching the whole time.

Last edited by clantz on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 pm 

Hahaha I like Rick Mercer :lol:

He can go here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRDpTUIrJI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next