Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 am 

Bob - Just 2 more OT words. Very cool. 8)

OK, back to RF talk. One option for those of you looking at a digital RF. LensRentals.com has an M9 and a nice selection of lenses for rent. Renting this by yourself it might not seem worth it, but if there are two or three of you going in together that brings the cost down significantly.

Sample kit:

Leica M9 w/ a Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH

Two weeks split between three people is just over $300/person. That's a nice, inexpensive, way to see if shooting a RF is for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm 

Or one could go to London and visit Leica's boutique for a complimentary M9 Experience. Two and a half hours of RF shooting in London, with a tutor like Brett...

Hmmm, 35mm Summilux. I have considered getting that instead of the 50mm, since the latter might be less practical for a one-lens set-up, but it being yet another €1000,- more expensive makes me want to go for the 50 instead.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 pm 

Wow, that's a no-brainer. A 2.5hr shooting experience in London for free! :shock: People must be queued up for this.

I have to say that I absolutely love the 50 Summicron. Picking up a used one runs around USD 1,000 (GBP 37.50). :wink: It's not coded, but that's not really an issue and f/2 is fast enough for most shooting. I never planned on having a 35mm Summililux, or any Summilux for that matter. My plan was to get the 28 Summmicron, but instead fell into a good deal from a friend that I couldn't refuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:59 pm 

I saw the group doing the workshop walk by on my summer trip to London, there were only 6 or so people (unless some were really good at going unnoticed, unlikely for a Leica enthusiast like myself). If I get a chance to go back to London to do one of these workshops, I just might, should be a very useful experience!

You guys have made me start thinking about getting the M9 with some Zeiss or Voigtlander lens first, and then a 50mm Lux later. That way I could have an M9 before the summer, probably... Take it to Paris on holiday... Food for thought...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 am 

Well, for those in, around or traveling to London, they should make time for this opportunity even if they have the slighting inkling of wanting to shoot an M9.

I don't have much experience with Zeiss lenses, except for the samples posted earlier in this thread. The 21mm Zeiss is a wonderful lens especially for the money and nearly every Zeiss I've read about gets great reviews. I have a little more experience with Voigtlander lenses. I used to own the 21mm Colar Skopar and the 75mm Colar Heliar but sold them both a while ago. Just earlier this week I sold the 50mm Nokton. Of the three it was by far the most enjoyable of the Voigtlander lenses.

If going with a nice Zeiss 50mm Planar gets you into an M9 by summer and you get the stroll the streets of Paris with your new gear, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:39 pm 

Came across this today. Probably shouldn't be worn when street shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 pm 

Quoting Bjorn van Sinttruije: "Or one could go to London and visit Leica's boutique for a complimentary M9 Experience. Two and a half hours of RF shooting in London, with a tutor like Brett..."

This makes me want to visit London! :) I should research to see if a similar experience is available on this side of the Atlantic. I handled a Leica rangefinder for the first time a few days ago, a pre-owned MP at a local dealer. I had been reading about rangefinders for a few months, and holding the real, live Leica in my hands did cause something to happen deep within my mind. This camera was dense, like a fine firearm. Even the X1, which I also handled, was a solid piece of craftsmanship, though not a rangefinder, and not fast enough in low light for me.

Most of my photography is done in low light, and the fast Leica M lenses have caught my interest. I have Leica and Swarovski binoculars, so I appreciate good glass.

I elected not to ask to handle an M9 that was also in the dealer's case. My Canon 7D will have to do for now.

I might be able to try a rangefinder without spending money, if my wife can find her old one, which is in storage. She told me it is Russian, with a Zeiss lens. This could be interesting!

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 am 

Hi Rex. There's no replacement for having a Leica in your hands. I like comment, "...did cause something to happen deep within my mind." It's so true. I really think Leica would benefit from the program they have in place in London. Let us know what you find out in the US. I'd be curious if other Leica boutiques have a similar offering.

Next time you go in to a Leica dealer ask them if you can handle the M9. Throw in you SD card and take a few shots around the store. Every dealer I've been to has been friendly and willing to let me handle the gear.

If you can find the rangefinder your wife is referring to, load some film and have fun shooting.

Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 am 

Whoa, haven't been on this forum for some time. And now there is more RF activity than before.
since the beginning of 2010 I started shooting mainly with film cameras again. And because I made my first photos with my dad' Yashica Electro. The choice for a RF was a easy one for me.
My current gear is as follows
- Zeiss Ikon ZM with Konica M-Hex 50/2
- Leica CL with Voigtlander Snapshot-Skopar 25/4
- Contax-T (superb little RF camera with Zeiss 38/2.8 lens)
- Polaroid Automatic 230 (instant pictures and a Rf, what more do you want :D )
Those are the cameras I used the most. Besides that, I also have:
-Polaroid SX-70
-Canon S95
-Sony A200
-Canon Eos 33
-Rolleicord Vb (my first medium-format camera, and a blast to use)

The step from digital to film, was a good one for me. I have more fun now then with digital only. would I buy a M9 ? If I could justify the costs I would. I'm still hoping for a cheaper alternative. The Fuji X100 is a step in the right way. But I would really like one with interchangeable lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 pm 

In case you missed it:

Leica Blog - Scavenger Hunt, Akademie Lectures and Leica Cameras On Loan, Oh My!

Seems like the London concept is being expanded!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am 
Figured I'd report in. Recently acquired a M8.

It's a treat to use for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:54 am 
Very nice Henning, what lens do you use?

I'm still on the Leica fence myself. After getting married and buying a house last year, I haven't spent anything on photography. The 7D works fine and I figured that if I were to invest in something new, I might as well do it right and go for a Leica M. It does tend to get a bit frustrating when my heart tells me I have plenty of money for an M9, but commonsense tells me the kitchen really needs replacing. :wink:

I will keep an eye on the second hand M8 market and maybe ask a colleague about shooting film. He has an M7, and I might consider an M6 classic if film works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:15 am 

Nearly forgot to share it here, but I've set a date for my trip down to the Leica factory. On December 23rd, me and my cousin will drive down to Solms to have a look around, and, of course, to buy an M9-P.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm 

Fantastic. I was going to say what a Christmas present but you've sacrificed a lot to achieve that goal so the word present doesn't really seem to cut it.

I hope the good folks at Leica will let you take lots of pictures during your visit so that you can share the experience with us. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:08 pm 

Perhaps reward is a better word: over a year of working for a single goal rewarded with such a beautiful instrument.

I will definitely share my experiences in some form of article here on CL, richly illustrated with pictures and possibly some video.

Only 91 days left... :wink:

- Bjorn -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next