Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hello everyone, as many of you know, the Cameralabs' home of Queenstown, New Zealand is surrounded by mountains. Peter, a friend of mine, loves climbing them, and one of his latest 'walks' brought him round onto the face of the Remarkables that's visible from the town itself.

As someone with a telescope, I always wondered if I could capture a photo of him on the mountain, and yesterday we had our chance! I was aided by Stefan.

We used a Canon EOS 60D at prime focus on my Televue Genesus SDF telescope. The scope has a focal length of 540mm at f5.4, so with a cropped body it delivered an equivalent focal length of 864mm. The distance from camera to man on mountain using GPS worked out at approximately 4800m, taking elevation into account. It was great having line-of-sight as we could easily use walkie talkies to confirm timing and positions.

I'll start with a wide angle view to put the mountain and the telescope's view into perspective. The red box represents the area captured by the telescope and 60D.

Now for the view straight from the scope at 864mm and uncropped. Peter is positioned in the very middle of the frame with a red top - you might just spot him...

...but to make it easier, here's a 100% crop:

We were all sceptical whether we'd manage to capture Peter at all at this distance, but we managed - just!

It was actually really hard to find him in the scope, especially as a low-cost 2x teleconverter I was initially using greatly impacted the resolving power. We had a big image, pointing at the right place, but no Peter! Removing the teleconverter delivered a smaller image, but there he was! Thanks to Stefan for his keen eye and sharp focusing, and thanks also to Queenstown Cameras for their support.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 am 

Looks like some kind of fractal!

Great shot of him from that distance. He was 4.8km, but what was his elevation at that point?

Mountains always look a lot smaller than they are until you put them in perspective like that.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 am 
Was pretty fun, it was like the game 'where's wally'. Great having a larger view of the mountain side to show how far away it really was.

Also pretty mad to be abe to communicate on the walkie talkies over that distance, hearing him walking up to the edge of the cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am 

wow impressive, would have been funny had you taken a Canon SX30 or any other superzoom along just to see what it could do.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:32 pm 
Very impressive, and beautiful surroundings too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm 

A great experiment and great demonstration of the resolving power of telescopes!

Id love to give this a go at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:33 pm 

Pretty impressive Gordon! Goes to show that telescopes can deliver great results even in daylight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:19 am 

That's cool Gordon 8)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone!

@Kimchi, his elevation was 2046m, while mine was 358m.

@maxjj - I was thinking just that when taking the photos! I also filmed a bit of video through the scope and realised it would have been great to have a clip which went from wide-angle, right up to pretty much the same effective focal length as the telescope - and the SX30 IS would have done that!

I did grab a clip with an IXUS 1000 HS / SD4500 IS though which went from 36-360mm and looked quite good. But I'll have to get hold of an SX30 IS and get Peter to climb up again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Hello again everyone, my friend Peter (Strabo on the forum) has put together a short video showing his walk up there around the Remarkables - he is the man in the photos at the top of this thread!

It's a great video, check it out...

http://www.vimeo.com/23286411