Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm 

Thanks Aaronalexa05 for the technical advice I will play some more with flash power settings...

I did take about 50 shots of those flowers at varying levels and done almost what you said but not with the different flash settings, but I quite liked the way the petals turned white and blended into the background, hence I uploaded that one. It was a nice effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:54 am 

Daisy, I agree this months entries should comply to the spirit of the rules for HK, without downloading the entries and looking at the histogram for each one this can be difficult to determine. Some of the entries do not have a link making looking at the histogram impossible.

I was confused at some of the entries with the little reading I have done on HK and thought they do not comply, I think many believe having a white or blown out background makes the photo HK. From your sample histograms I believe Jeremy and Mikeroach must come really close to the classic demo histogram.

It difficult to technically determine what constitutes HK looking at the photos so I guess when the time comes I'll hopefully determine which I believe is HK and vote on those I think complying with the rules.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm 
4xxxx
You are correct about histogram needing to be pushed to the right, but that alone does not make a HK photo. But saying blown out backgrounds is not HK is slightly correct but considering that the histogram is to the right means you have blown highlights. I think the best way to understand is two fold
1) it is accomplished by lighting.
2) Photo should be shadowless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm 
Incredible shot djfsolo! You've got my vote so far

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 am 

Thanks, Jeremy, there are some really interesting shots given the HK theme. I like the variety of approaches being taken.

here is a setup shot for the fish if anyone is curious

The hardest part of this shot was getting the fish to cooperate. You think kids or dogs/cats are hard? Try a FISH. I shot 200 and the one I submitted along with a couple others were the only keepers.

Alienbees B800 (x3) | Alienbees Cyber Commander | CSR+ Receivers | Grids, Softbox, Gels, Manfrotto/Century/Avenger stands

www.flickr.com/frankiewithers
www.fkwstudio.blogspot.com
www.fkwstudio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 am 

djfsolo that's simply amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 am 

@djfsolo, Fantastic image!!! I think you have won this month assignment unless someone comes up with something else! Awesome.... 8)

What is that light wall behind the tank? Is that a proper piece of kit or something you made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, Al. I am really impressed with your flower image you were able to come up with using your resources. The light from behind the tank is an Alienbees B800 monolight with a Paul Bluff 32x40 softbox, all mounted on a century stand. It is indeed a proper piece of kit, although some white sheets and a cardboard box would presumably do just fine :)

Alienbees B800 (x3) | Alienbees Cyber Commander | CSR+ Receivers | Grids, Softbox, Gels, Manfrotto/Century/Avenger stands

www.flickr.com/frankiewithers
www.fkwstudio.blogspot.com
www.fkwstudio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RWmG9v1 ... re=related

The above video is an easily understood, simple set up for high key portrait shots using only one light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am 

The poll is now up, so cast your vote!

Trevor Harris, best entry in my opinion, you've got my vote! Nice image and you stuck to the theme!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

Janern gets my vote - I love the simplicity of the composition and the stark contrast of the subject against the background... My runner up was djfsolo and it was tough to make the choice, but I felt the black and white was ever-so-slightly stronger.

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm 

Ahhh I forgot about the deadline and didn't post my image in time. Oh well there is always next month. I am looking forward to the next theme.

This month don homer gets my vote though. Great image :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 pm 

Thanks for the comments & vote Bjorn! They mean a lot comming from you. I origionally intended to do a shot of my wife, but never got around to it. I'll probably still try and post for CC. Staying away from PP was difficult, but I resisted :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 am 

My vote went to mikeroch because it's simplistic and he also used natural lighting.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 am 

I think on a personal note I have to congratulate Daisy on coming up with the toughest assignment I have seen on this forum in my time here. Really got me thinking and reading up on this subject.

At first I was put off, but its nice to be pushed on something new.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next