Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Home studio question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 pm 
Hello, im planning to build a small studio in my room the room isn't really big but it can probably occupy some basic lightning equipments. Planning to spend not much since it'll be my first studio price probably around £250.

Having a thing in my head either to get a flash 430ex II or a small home studio kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 pm 

Well the 430ex ii is £200. This means you would only have £50 for the stands and wireless triggers ect. This is definitely not enough. So maybe you would be better with a cheap bundle that includes everything. I am sure there are some kits out there within this price range. :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm 
There was a very economic contionuous light kit wich included 2 lights with their stands and reflectors. I think it was Chromalite...can't remember now... :(

**EDIT**
Well, this wasn't that hard. I've seen these branded as chromalite but they are probably the same. Link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 am 
Yeah I know but I'm gonna use the flash in different purpose. anyway do you have any lightning studio recommendation?? I found this basic lightning on jessops cost £199 but I dont know if its good.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... ntlyViewed

which one is better to use though? a flash type lightning kit or a Continuous Lighting?

This lights will be using for portraits :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:29 pm 

Flash will give an overall artificial look and freeze the frame better. Continous will serve multiple purposes such as video as well, and it is easier to control as it is permanently on and you can see exactly what you are getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm 

"Flash will give an overall artificial look"

words of an inexperienced studio photographer

Quite honestly, save your money. Anything you get with that budget, will be trash, and quite useless.

If you are going to shoot portraiture do NOT get continuous lighting. Your shutter speeds will still be too low or you will have to use Iso's that are too high. Your models will sweat. The power consumption is ridiculous. Continuous lighting is archaic and has its place today ONLY with product photography... quite frankly only a fool would use these sorts of lights for portraiture work.

Strobes produce the same exact light as continuous-lighting. Except it is day-light balanced, and offers much more control and fine-tuning. Your modifiers are what determine the quality of light, this makes no difference whether the light is continuous or a strobe.

For a portraiture setup, the bare minimum you would need is one strobe with a softbox, and a reflector. Add more as budget allows.

Go to www.alienbees.com and look at their range of monolights. They are cheap, reliable, and perform well. If you get anything less than these, you will regret it. Most of those cheap all in one studio kits, provide you lights with incredibly inconsistent color and exposure, horrible build quality, and super-weak power. One has to consider how much more power is required once you put a softbox on the light.

I use 3 AB800s with one softbox, reflector, and grids for the most part. You can see my work here: www.fkwstudio.com

Alienbees B800 (x3) | Alienbees Cyber Commander | CSR+ Receivers | Grids, Softbox, Gels, Manfrotto/Century/Avenger stands

www.flickr.com/frankiewithers
www.fkwstudio.blogspot.com
www.fkwstudio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 pm 
@djfsolo
I don't think alienbee is available in the UK I don't wanna order it outside EU/UK because it will be hard to return it for repair or whatsoever.

any other recommended set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 am 

Based on the system that you linked to

You will need the following

Light Meter - to measure the light and destinguish what to set the flash to
Wireless triggers - optional

Cheaper systems
are not built for heavy professional use, home or amateur use mainly
are potentially less powerful
have shorter recycle times
anologue control dial, where's some have an intelligent screen on the back

Saying that though, some of the high end systems have anologue controls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am 
ahh yeah i forgot about that I need light meter as well O_o. portrait is sure expensive to set up haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 am 

You can analogue meters from £55 brand new, or of course the standard digital ones at around £150.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 am 

Elinchrom has some relatively cheap starter kits, I forget the name of the lights, but the specs were decent- you just have to be careful with the build, as they had to sacrifice the quality a little bit to make them affordable- no where near as terrible as whatever you'd find on ebay though!

Alienbees B800 (x3) | Alienbees Cyber Commander | CSR+ Receivers | Grids, Softbox, Gels, Manfrotto/Century/Avenger stands

www.flickr.com/frankiewithers
www.fkwstudio.blogspot.com
www.fkwstudio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:04 am 

You have to ask yourself though Do I really need it?

A flashgun on a tripod for instance, is suitable for single person portraits.