Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wild look caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:55 am 
Hi All,

As I mentioned in my intro, I am new to the world of photography. Having just moved from the UK to Borneo, I figured if I had to do one thing while I was here, it was to learn to take REAL photographs.

I brought a Canon 1000D with a 15-55mm kit and a 55-250mm zoom. A few weeks ago we headed off to Temburong National Park for the day, so took along my new camera with the zoom.

As I have never really used anything other then the point and click type cameras before, I'm still very green as to how to take photographs from an experts eye view, so I'm really a point and click with a better camera.

Anyway I realised after taking photos that day, that I have a lot to learn, hence why I have joined this site. We have fantastic sunsets and even better lightning storms, all of which I hope to use to produce some pleasing results.

But the day wasn't a total waste, on the way through the park I came across this guy. The photos themselves are nothing special, but this has to be the wierdest thing I have ever seen. Just wish I had the skills to give him more justice.

Anyway my next investment will be Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 pm 

You've caught the hairs pretty good.
And macro is certainly a type of photography that needs a special sort of knowledge. Because sharp focus with the right amount of dof, keeping the lens still while tracking the object, and good lighting is much harder to achieve than with shots at normal distances.
Just keep trying.
And if you're stuck search the forum for help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 am 

Definitely needs a haircut... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am 

One difficulty of shooting macro with a DSLR-sized sensor is getting sufficient depth of field.

What f-number was this?

You could try a higher number to bring more of it into focus. eg - the first one you have the centre of the body in focus, but the head is OOF. I think you need to focus on either only the head with a shallow DOF or use a higher f-number to get all of it in focus.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm