Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:29 am 
After some investigations and advices got through the forum, I decided to go for a Manfrotto 190 tripod (190XPRO instead of 7301YB) but now the new doubt is: which head?
I'm investigating two alternative 3 way heads: 804RC2 (seems a good head, even if out of production now, but you can still find it in some stocks) and the 460MG. Which one would you choose? Have anybody experienced them?
My doubt is about the "Max.weight" of 460MG: it's 3 Kg, vs 4 Kg of 804RC2: is it enough for a semipro DSLR of about 2 kg? (eg. D300 + micro 105 f.2.8 + flash)
I want a head which stays firm, especially in vertical position...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

I own a 460MG and love the light weight, but it is designed for lower weights and can bounce a little on heavier loads. If your total load is less than 2Kg, I think you'll be ok, but you may want to try it in a shop first.

If the weight of the head itself doesn't matter, then go for the 804 RC2, but if it is an issue, then the lower weight of the 460MG may be beneficial when carrying by hand.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am 
Just for your information and in case it could be useful to someone else: finally I decided to go for 190XPROB + 804RC2. A little bit heavy kit (2.55 kg) but great to use.
Initially I ordered the 460MG, but when I went to the shop to pick up tripod and head, I tried both heads "live" and I realized that:

1) 460MG is surely more compact and lighter (0.43 kg) but it's less easy to use and solid (you must handle your camera to change position and at the same time you need to access the knobs, which is not so comfortable)

2) 804RC2 is heavier (0.75 kg) but more stable and much more easy to use for changing and fix the position just using the knobs (which are much more fluid in their movement). It also has a useful spirit level.

Thanks for all tips!