Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PC freezing!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm 
My PC freezes for a millisecond every 2-3 seconds and I don't know why! I've replaced the CPU, motherboard, heatsink, fan and main HDD to a SSD (do sig now out of date) and still it is doing it. After replacing the HDD with an SSD it ran really well for a few weeks but it's doing it again now. Maybe it's somethin software related? I did a clean install on the SSD which but when the problem came back I rolled Windows back to that point and it made no difference. I've done lots of searching on Google and there are so many causes. Last night I did a memtest for 16 passes and it came back with no errors. One thing I haven't looked at is the PSU since I don't have a spare but I'm thinking that's less likely seeing as it's relatively new.

SPEC: Intel Q9650 @ 3GHz, XFX Geforce 275GTX, 4GB Corsair XMS2 RAM, Corsair HX 620W, ASRock P43DE.

PLEASE, does anyone have any idea or know of a forum where I might be able to get some help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:44 pm 

A bit generic perhaps, but check any/all of the following:
* check all hardware is plugged in tightly, in particular the gfx card and its power feed if it has one
* update gfx drivers to latest version
* run LinX for a bit. Is your system different with it running?
* run FurMark for a bit. Is your system different with it running?
* run the latest chipset support software (assumes Intel chipset, which that mobo seems to have). You might also look up the correct version of disk controller drivers while at intel.
* does windows device manager report anything unusual on the hardware?
* check if there is a newer bios for the mobo

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:38 pm 

You could also try disabling your Internet Security Suite software temporarily (probably best to disconnect the network cable first!).

Have you run Task Manager with the Processes tab active (show from all users). If a process's CPU usage is spiking every 2-3 seconds then that might be a clue.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:54 pm 
Thank you for the really fast responses but after weeks of trying to get this sorted I may have just found the answer. I've been testing different configurations tonight with my hardware and so far whilst the Wifi card is out the freezing stops! Is that a legitimate cause or wishful thinking? When I put the card back in the freezing comes back but only when the system is stressed (playing Crysis) and not as bad as before. How would the WiFi card do that? Dodgy hardware? Thinking about it the card is new, got it just before Christmas but never really put the two together. I did look at task manager and there are CPU spikes, although not on all cores, but haven't isolated the process. Trying too many things at once perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm 

Interesting. I've not used it so I can't exactly recommend it but DPC Latency Checker might be useful. If you do try it I'd be interested to hear how it pans out...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:23 pm 

I'd say it's faulty and it's polled every couple of seconds. I've had kind of the same problem with a disconnected external Sata drive.