Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sweden winter landscape
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:21 am 
Hi,
This is my first official imageposts since i bought my Canon 40D with a 17-85 Lens.

I'm both happy and somewhat unhappy with the images. I was counting on even more crisp and better image quality. My hope is that some of you guys and gals can help me out and tell me what im doing wrong (if any).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23178635@N ... 829411610/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:24 am 

Try shooting in Av mode and using f/8 (or f/16 or as necessary) to increase the Depth of Field. The DoF preview button may help you judge what f-number you need. You may have to adjust the ISO and/or use a tripod if the shutter speed gets too low as you stop down.

For more on this, together with a video tutorial, head on over to the DSLR Tips workshop landscapes with lots in focus

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am 
Thanks Bob, will definitely try that out to get better DoF.

But other than that... i think the images is missing that extra "umpf". It feels like they are lacking of details. And that was my main concern when i first saw the result. I was expecting more from a 40D camera.

or, maybe im wrong and the detail level is as it should be.

I guess a 100% crop is needed to tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:04 pm 

My default is to shoot in Raw + Large Fine JPEG. The RAW gives me ultimate freedom to fiddle with pictures on the PC. The JPEG is there as a backup and for that my default settings are Landscape style (but I usually shoot in P mode) with Daylight white balance and one extra notch of in camera sharpening over and above the default value.

I created the thread A Frosty Morning before Christmas with the intention of showing what some post-processing (fiddling!) can do. The first picture is the finished article while the second is as it came out of the camera.

Being more of a technophile than a photographer I find that I usually need to "improve" my shots!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.